Support the Forum!

Hey Everyone!

I was suggesting a book to a new Forum member and I told him about the Forum's bookstore. I let him know a small portion of the purchase through the Forum book store goes to the Forum and the price we pay is the same as if we went straight through Amazon so its a win win situation!

I decided to start this thread because another very experienced Forum member posted that he was unaware of this and would have gladly bought his books through the Forum's book store. I wanted to let everyone know.

The books are organized making it easier to find the book you want and it supports the Forum! It does not cost us a dime and that is good because I spend every available dime I have on trains.

I know most of us buy train books. I know for me reading about trains is almost as fun as playing with my trains!

I have gotten so much out of being a Forum member. It has enhanced my enjoyment and knowledge of this great, but addictive hobby. It has to be the single most important thing I have done since becoming a full time model train junkie.

While I am at I should do something I have should have done long ago, thank you for this Forum and the great people who make the Forum great!

Support your friendly neighborhood Forum and treat yourself to another train book through the forum bookstore. You will be glad you did!

It's back and better than ever! :)

So, are we running a "house of ill repute" featuring only Asian ladies? No, of course not! The ladies are of all nationalities, we can't discriminate! ;)

The ads are from Google and they're presumably a legit business offering an actual dating service (no winking or nudges involved). People are often looking for a certain nationality or race or body style when dating, and there's a site out there that caters to every one of them.

We don't select the ads or control them. Since the forum doesn't have an obvious target audience like it might if we were about cars or stereos or video games, they tend to "fish" with the ads. You'll see ads for cars and video games and dating. I think I may have banned gambling ads, I'm no sure. If not, those may show too. The ads are regional, based on your IP address, so you get different ads than the others. Also, depending on your settings, they may be based on your browsing history. I buy photo classes from Creative Live, so currently my ads want me to buy their latest class. I'm also seeing an ad for a New York Times book.

As with TV, if you see an ad you don't like, ignore it. It'll go away soon enough.

For the ads, we don't get paid based on what you purchase (otherwise I'd run far more car ads!). We get paid if you click on the ad and are determined to be a legitimate customer. So please don't just click on them all at random, they watch for that...

Last edited:
OK, just noticed this is an old thread that was brought back from the dead. But the replies are still applicable.

As for the bookstore. It is an Amazon Affiliate store, as somebody else mentioned, so no, I don't get to set prices. I have a list of new and used books that I think may interest our members. If you buy one, I get a small commission for referring you.

The new books are easy, they're list price at most, and usually discounted. The used books are where it gets tricky. They are sold by both Amazon and third party sellers. They can ask whatever they think it's worth. Currently I've got a new edition of an out of stock model railroad title that's being offered for $900. Why? I have no clue. Do I think anyone will buy it? Please don't.... But sometime soon, somebody else will list a copy, and the price will update to a more reasonable cost. The prices update every 24 hours automatically. Pro tip, if you see a used book title you like, ignore the price and click on it. You'll often find other copies for sale at lower prices than the one Amazon pops up with initially.

Back