Suggestions for a book on SP Steam

malibu43

This last weekend we took my kids for a ride on the Sugar Pine Railroad (which I rode as a kid probably almost 30 years ago), and while in the gift shop, I saw this book:

Daylight Reflections

I really liked it, but wasn't prepared on the spot to pay $50 for an impulse buy (although for a new copy of the book that may have been a good deal) dedicated only to the Daylight.

I don't have any railroad books really, and I have a birthday coming up. I would really like a book similar to the one linked above, but that covers Southern Pacific steam, in addition to the Daylight. Something with lots of pictures...

Does anyone have experience with this book? A Century of Southern Pacific Steam Locomotives Lot's of photos? Or just lots of text?

Any other suggestions that might fit what I'm looking for?

Dunscomb’s A Century of Southern Pacific Steam Locomotives covers every steamer the SP ever ran. It’s mostly photos, all black & white and can be had for $65-75.00. It’s a comprehensive book and I have a well thumbed copy. There also Joe Strapac’s Southern Pacific Steam 1940-1957. Most of the others I would recommend are out of print and expensive.

Thank you all. I found a copy of Daylight Reflections on ebay ($30 new!) and ordered that a few weeks ago. Today it was a nice birthday "surprise". It was my first chance to look through the book since my wife took it and hid after it arrived. I only got to thumb through for a few minutes, but I really like it. Tons of great photos, and just the right amount of text and info to go along with it.

Back