Sub Roadbed

boatwrench

Locally I have only been able to find 1" thick pink extruded foam. I have a piece that is 53" x 36" and it flexes under the weight of N Scale. How thick of plywood is recommended for the sub road bed under the foam. This is my first foam based layout and I am trying to save weight. TIA.

Depends. You can go with tempered hardboard if you're framing supports it. If all you have is the outside edge supported, I would recommend 1/2" plywood or thicker.

Hi,

Or you could add additional supports using whatever material you used for the perimeter.

Frederick

Lots of depends here?
How large is the planned layout?
How is the perimeter framed?
Even a 4x8x1/2 plywood would need a minimum of 3 cross braces, but they can be 1x3.

To save weight - make all the framing 1x3 and cookie cut the 1/2 ply subroadbed.

Thanks everyone,

The layout is a simple folded oval with a passing siding. The final dimension will be 53" x 36".

I have plenty of 1x4 in the garage and was planning on using that for the frame. I also have some 1/2" plywood in the garage so will be on my way towards running trains hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks everyone,

The layout is a simple folded oval with a passing siding. The final dimension will be 53" x 36".

I have plenty of 1x4 in the garage and was planning on using that for the frame. I also have some 1/2" plywood in the garage so will be on my way towards running trains hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Appreciate everyone's advice.

I might catch some flak for this but don't over do it. I've seen too many layouts that are built to withstand a 500lbs bomb. The more you add to the frame, the more weight the frame has to handle. Just my two cents.

Perhaps you could use the foam board on edge, glued to the foam board that is flat to provide the rigidity that you want.

In a similar situation, I glued two layers of 3/4-inch foam to 1/4-inch plywood. Here is the plywood/foam sandwich.
table_sandwich1.jpg

Then I supported the plywood/foam sandwich on 1x3 lumber on 16-inch centers. Here is the benchwork on which the plywood/foam sandwich rests.
table_frame1.jpg

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back