Styrene help

Hawkesburytrain

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get .040 styrene in 12" x 24"?
I found some on Amazone but shipping was RIDICULOUS
I need 16 sheets and the cost was about $49, but was charging $350 for shipping
I live in Ontario, Canada so that's about $552 Cdn

Thanks for all your help

Sorry Lloyd - I though the shipping would be cheaper but when I enter 16 pieces in it is still crazy expensive. Not sure if it is cheaper if you contact them.

When I was building my last town I needed some styrene for the streets and came across the same problem. You might check out hardware stores for signs. I picked up a few for sale signs and painted them for streets and city blocks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You should be able to find a sign large enough. I found two different thicknesses of signs, used thinner ones for the streets and a thicker one for the city blocks.

Lloyd styrene was part of my business not long ago.
Let me check with my suppliers for sources closer to you.
I have tons here, no help I know.

Thanks everyone, I'm getting ready to build my huge brewery and calculated that I would need about 4,250 square inches, which is almost 4' x 8'

Try picking it up from a plastic supplier and get it a lot cheaper then a hobby shop. Do a search for polystyrene sheet. I picked up sheets of 4x8 and all sizes for about $100 shipped. That was multiple thickness. I did this many years ago but I'm sure I can find the name if you need.

Dave

What about trying a recycling building supply and see if a sheet of paneling from a tub surround is available? There used to be a couple in Ottawa, don't know if they are still around or not.

Checkout ePlastics.com.

1 4' x 8' sheet (32 sq ft) $36.00 + shipping to Canada $25.00 (guessed at Postal Code, used Toronto) + VAT or GST or whatever they charge you

Kevin, Dave, Thanks

I did take a look at the shipping and it came out at $25 for shipping with my postal code.
BUT............. if you unclick San Diego Local Delivery and click on "D sheets up to 48x96 than the shipping climbs to $315

I will be heading to Ottawa at a plastic distribution where I was told I could get a sheet for $30, an 1 1/2 drive (x2)
I'll take the opportunity and see two hobby shop

Thanks everyone

Lloyd,

I get really annoyed at companies that 1) don't show shipping charges up front, and 2) make you jump through hoops to get to the "actual" amount. I'll be removing ePlastics from my potential supplier list. I'd have been p****d if I'd been planning on buying materials only to find by the time I got to the end of the checkout process the shipping skyrocketed.

I recently cancelled out of an order from a different company (ultrasonic cleaning solution) when, after pressing "Place Order", a message popped up saying (in essence) "by the way, the shipping won't be our standard $7.95, its actually $38.99. Press Continue." NFW. They got dropped from my suppliers list too.

I HATE those hidden shipping cost as well. I really hate it when they make you register or submit information before they will give you a shipping cost. I understand the need of a zip code but not an account first.

I purchased from http://shop.e-tplastics.com/. I got 5 sheets of styrene and shipping for $90. This was back in 2008 and I still have some left. I know I'll need more for my soon use of sheets for the backdrop of my layout but at that price it was a deal.

I got 5 sheets and the entire order cost me $90. Now the order would be $63 and shipping. I can't get shipping from this because the oversized shipment. They did me well. I recall the one sheet came all destroyed and they replaced it no charge and I didn't need to return the old sheet.

I got mine shipped from NJ but they have a few different branches.

Dave

Hey Kevin, no worries,

Lots of internet companies seem to take advantage of people with shipping charges (Ebay, Amazon, etc). We just need to be very diligent in our purchases. Sometimes you wonder how some people can send stuff with free shipping and others, the sky is the limit.
What happen to free trade between the US and Canada?????? LOL

Lloyd,

Free trade -- LOL is right. Free trade is only for those who can afford it. And I forgot to add I'm glad you found an affordable solution. I hate having to drive anywhere for anything 'cause I hate driving, but if there's an opportunity to visit a couple of good shops on the way, well .....

Since the structure you are planning to build may have large and expansive walls, have you considered using very thin "Gator" or Foam Board"? This material may provide a stronger wall system and not need as much interior bracing that styrene may require.

Thanks.

Greg

Hey Greg,

I thought about it, but with paint and weathering, don't know if the foam board would stay strong.
But you do bring a strong point, for example, all the walls facing the walls of the house could be done with foam board.
Got to recalculate my styrene needs now....Thanks

Okay one of the places I've dealt here with has an Ottawa office.
Laird plastics, I think the manager is Darren but any of the sales people should be able to help.
Give them a call @ 877-227-2296 before you head out there.
Can't see any problems.
Another I've dealt with is Johnston Plastics, not sure about an office there tho.

Lloyd:

I've seen a from of Gator or Foam Board that has a plastic outside covering, rather than the typical paper material. this may handle the painting and weathering better than the more traditional Foam Board.

Greg

GatorFoam is available from micro-Mark. Sheets are 12" X 18" and they give quantity discounts. Possibly GatorFoam is available from a Canadian supplier. It would be my choice for a building material if i had to build large or many buildings.

Back