stripping paint on walthers F40

ccool

Hi !

Probably already talk but i check the archive without find anything.

I have a walthers F40 to strip the paint, i scrap the first shell with that and i don't want to make the same thing on the second.

I use alcohol without good result, i put the shell for about a month, some part arestripped but the major part stay on the shell.

Do you thing that easy lift off can be goos for walthers ?

Other idea ?

THanks !

Hi !

Sorry for my english but what is "nail polish remover" ? It's safe for walthers plastic ?

Thanks !

Do not put any shell in Acetone unless it is made out of steel, aluminum or stainless.
I use brake fluid. Don't leave it in to long. Check it after about 4 hrs. use an old toothbrush to scrub off any loose paint & if it hasn't taken off all the paint, put it back in the fluid for about another 4hrs. I stripped, Walthers, Athearn, kato & Atlas shells w/it.
If the plastic acts like it is getting soft, remove the shell right away & wash w/warm water.

No, brake fluid is no good for Walthers F40s, I'm building a VIA F40 as we speak, and all the brake fluid did was remove the striping and numbers, it didn't touch the base paint. I left it in the fluid for a week.

I've only had luck with brake fluid on Athearn and some Proto colours, it doesn't even touch Kato.

I just tried acetone after reading these posts (on a scrap LL shell) and while it made easy work of it, I did end up with a fingerprint in the side, so it did soften up things, and I cut the acetone slightly with water.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, brake fluid is no good for Walthers F40s, I'm building a VIA F40 as we speak, and all the brake fluid did was remove the striping and numbers, it didn't touch the base paint. I left it in the fluid for a week.

I've only had luck with brake fluid on Athearn and some Proto colours, it doesn't even touch Kato.

Do you need to take all of the base colors off completely?

i just recently purchased an sir eraser from harbor frieght. it is looks like a gravity feed airbrush but you fill it with 220 grit blasting compound. i just started using it yesterday.
it works great if you ar planning on stripping the paint completely off just beware unless you build a blasting box you will have aluminum oxide dust everywhere. either that or work outside and where eye protection.

i used it last night to clean the electrical contacts on my first custom locomotive

i just recently purchased an sir eraser from harbor frieght. it is looks like a gravity feed airbrush but you fill it with 220 grit blasting compound. i just started using it yesterday.
it works great if you ar planning on stripping the paint completely off just beware unless you build a blasting box you will have aluminum oxide dust everywhere. either that or work outside and where eye protection.

i used it last night to clean the electrical contacts on my first custom locomotive

Really? does this work on plastic shells? do you have a website where you found this item?

I either sand blast mine or i use the Scalecoat II paint stripper. Both work great.

the 220 grit aluminum oxide is a very fine powder the blaster probably wont take anything courser then this

I have actually damaged shells using 220. The stuff that i have been using is 400.

The stuff i have is 400 grit sand. Not sure where it came from. Its about a 25 gal drum of it that was sitting on my dad's garage for years.

Back