Stripping old paint off a project.

N

NP2626

I see people feel the need to strip-off the old paint from a modeling project. They use alcohol, AC 22 or, some other types of strippers and showing great care not to damage the plastic under the paint. I bought a bottle of Paint Stripper many years ago, still have it as it simply doesn't get used. I am in the middle of repainting a Rivarossi Passenger car at this time, making an NYC car out to be a Northern Pacific car. Re-painting Rivarossi passenger equipment is a recent project done by Cody Grivno of Model Railroader Magazine. Naturally, he felt stripping the old paint off the cars to be necessary. I did not do this and feel my cars look good enough without this extra process. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't need every detail on a locomotive, freight; or, passenger car to standout! What do you do? Since I model the Northern Pacific which has very little equipment available, it is certainly necessary for me to re-purpose some equipment. However, I don't see the need for me to strip any paint form projects I do and have done!

I’ve only stripped paint on a couple projects because they had a thick coat already.
Others turned out just fine with no prep other than a good cleaning.

it depends on how much paint is already on there ... if there is an objectionable loss of detail, then stripping is warranted ..

... Since I model the Northern Pacific which has very little equipment available, it is certainly necessary for me to re-purpose some equipment. ...

I picked Union Pacific to avoid re-painting as much as possible. Steam loco's are easy to rename, diesel shells are quickly replaced, log cars are a no-brainer, passengers are are not on my layout. In my signature picture is an F7 with black trucks and yellow grill. I repainted this to match my B unit with Testors straight from the bottle, no stripping.
IMG_3863[1].JPG

Forgot to mention I never use primer; either, unless it is a metal project.

Maybe a better way of putting this might be: When you are going to re-paint a model, why do you feel it's important to strip the old paint off? Then: if you are going to re-paint your model why do you feel it is necessity to apply a coat of PRIMER? It would seem to me that one reason to strip paint off of a project is to preserve the details on the model. Doesn't the old coat of paint provide a primer base and what would be the difference between two paint coats and a primer and color coat?

My own preferences are:
If the model is two-tone, and/or depending on the thickness of prior paint, I will strip because I do not want the prior color(s) to show, or to lose any of the details.
I like to prime as it gives the new paint something to "grab". Also, a primer coat allows you to see any imperfections where you may have done mods and/or filling in prior holes, joints, etc. (primer paint with corn starch added makes an excellent sanding type sealer which, when sanded, is as smooth as glass)
Another reason to prime is that it gives a uniform finish for final painting

I've always found that the old paint provides a great layer to grab a hold of, for the new coat. Something different about how I paint, if I'm going to spray I use rattle cans; but, for 99% of the painting I do, I use a brush to paint! In other words, I don't own an air brush, compressor; or, booth for painting. That's an expense I've never felt worth spending, through both R/C Model Airplanes and model railroading. I'm cheap, I guess!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back