Strip Mall project

GAPPLEG

SP modeler
I did post this across the street too, but I'm starting another building project. I want to build a small strip mall on my layout , after finally getting some parts in from Walthers I started today. Below is picture of laying out the door ways to four stores and windows for the same. Using pike stuff windows and doors for modern stores. The large piece above the layout is the front facade of the mall it will extend out over the front covering a walkway between stores. Haven't decided what the stores will be yet. Thing like Radio Shack , a shoe store , Kinko's maybe ?

stripmall2.png

In a strip mall there's always at least 1 empty store. Maybe put a for lease sign w/ a phone number, a ladder or 2 leaning inside, etc. Rent in a space like that is always to high for most business'.

I suggest looking up doll house shingles to use as plywood, say like having the windows being boarded up?

Are you doing a modern layout? If so, do Radio Shack, Kinko's, Subway, all the names that people recognize. There's a reason why people doing 50's layouts have stores named F. W. Woolworth's and A&P. It helps set the period so a viewer knows exactly what time period they are in.

I know people always bring up the Summit kits. That where I got the idea to build this project. I have a huge pile of evergreen that has been sitting for years. When a shop in Hamburg NY. closed , I knew the owner pretty well. I just bought his rack of evergreen for a song. So I decided , seeing as how I do like to scratch build , got the stuff, stole the idea from Summit , I'm off and running.

Well, in any case Jerry, your building looks good!

I was thinking of getting the Summit kits, AND building my own, considering some of the area's my layout will run through.

Let's see... Papa Murphy's, Papa John's, Beauty Shop, Karate Dojo, Big Town Hero, Coldstone Ice Cream, Baskin-Robins, (fill in the blank) Cellular, True Value Hardware, Scrapbooking shop, doctor's office, vetrinarian office, Mexican restaurant, State Farm Insurance office.... amazing how many places you can find in a strip mall.

Nice work! Do you plan on having a large 'anchor' store next to it (like a supermarket)? I just came from a place like that ~20 minutes ago...

That is sweet! I might have build a number of them myself, to compliment the Summit ones.

Back