Stick it to walthers..build your own

Good for you for showing this, and for making it the hard way.

I feel, however, that Walthers doesn't owe us anything. They are a business with real people who need the work. They have to bring to market what sells and what keeps them in business. Apparently the steel mill wasn't a big money maker for them.

Nice video, I want a steel mill as well, so I will defiantly use this for reference.

I've tried several times to suggest to them to re-run the steel mill series. With the price these kits are fetching on Ebay, I figured even a limited run would sell very well!

While I was looking for something else, I thought I saw their rolling mill kit on sale for a decent price on their web site. Could be wrong, but check it out.

Unfortunately, the Steel Mill series is rather extensive, and costly to tool, which makes it expensive. The mill buildings also have a big footprint, which excludes folks with small spaces or limited financial resources. Like many products reintroduced during the last few years, the Steel Mill series didn't sell as well as anticipated. Ergo, it won't be re-run for a while.

Even with the steel mill "signature" structures they produced, if somebody wants to have a plausible representation of an integrated mill, they still have to kitbash and/or scratch-build certain other structures that are not available in kit form.

I do have to give Walthers credit for one thing: Their blast furnace kit enabled me to see exactly how the various pieces fit together so I could scratch build one whose dimensions are 150% of those of the kit version.

I do have to give Walthers credit for one thing: Their blast furnace kit enabled me to see exactly how the various pieces fit together so I could scratch build one whose dimensions are 150% of those of the kit version.
Yes, that is why I didn't purchase one of there sets of structures. They were all selectively compressed too much.

djstrains,

Nice video and tute for making the mill. While I don't particularly want or need one it is ALWAYS good to see alternatives to having to buy commercially produced stuff. Well done so far as I am concerned.

Back