Steve's SOCAL BNSF layout

First, you're actually better off with the track isolated into blocks, since it's good for debugging. Second, decoders are a big, big subject. Some locos, especially those with sound, come with decoders included. Some N locos are available with decoders but not sound. Non-decoder equipped N locos can be pretty difficult to install decoders if they don't have 8-pin NMRA plugs (especially non-plug split frame N locos). The best DCC system is a matter of personal preference, but I've found (as have many others) that the NCE Power Cab is good and worth investigating further.

First, you're actually better off with the track isolated into blocks, since it's good for debugging. Second, decoders are a big, big subject. Some locos, especially those with sound, come with decoders included. Some N locos are available with decoders but not sound. Non-decoder equipped N locos can be pretty difficult to install decoders if they don't have 8-pin NMRA plugs (especially non-plug split frame N locos). The best DCC system is a matter of personal preference, but I've found (as have many others) that the NCE Power Cab is good and worth investigating further.

Thank you for the help, is there a way to tell by P/N, model number or barcode which locomotives have DCC already? I would like to see how many of the 13 I have already have the decoders installed without having to open them all up.

Thanks for the tip on the NCE system too, I'll read up on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's generally marked on the box, somewhere, the locomotives come in whether or not its DCC ready, DCC or DCC & sound equipped. While some older N scale locos are quite easy to install a hard wired DCC decoder in, on others its quite difficult to do without some kind of machining of the frame or the weights.

I kept all of the boxes so I'll take a close look at them and the instructions to see whether they are DCC ready or not. Thanks again for the help.

Did some more plastering today, I'm using the plaster cloth from this point on and it's so much cleaner and easier to use. Got a lot done today and should hopefully get some more done tonight or tomorrow. I plan to cover with sculptamold and shape a bit better and add some rock carvings.

3unane3e.jpg

upe5ese4.jpg

9apu4a2a.jpg

rynu7u8u.jpg

y5e8apav.jpg

ymasugem.jpg

I use these brown rolls of painters paper used to mask off areas to prevent the cloth dripping onto the track below. It's a little difficult to tape up the tracks up in tunnels so I take the paper and fold over itself several times, pass it through the tunnels and then it unfolds to take the shape of the tunnel. Once the plaster is dry you can just pull it back out with no messy tracks to clean up.

Steve

Another neat thing about my layout that I didn't originally plan for is with a big set of mountains there is a lot possibilities for trains derailing in tunnels or a lot of hidden tracks getting dirty.

I have an opening in the layout under the mountains that allows me to access most hidden tracks to see and get hands on for cleaning, vacuuming, missing train salvage operations and so on.

Did some vacuuming in there tonight to clean up a lot of the dust from plastering.

u8uqa7a8.jpg

zupunubu.jpg

amu6ude9.jpg

ynu2yzar.jpg

qugy4aqa.jpg

Probably not the most typical benchwork but again this layout changed so many times over the years as I assembled and disassembled it during moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for another update.... Not a whole lot of progress, still plastering and it's getting there but it all takes time. I've got a few more rolls of plaster cloth left but I know I'll need more. I also received four 3 pound bags of sculptamold and would like to start experimenting with that too. I'd like to finish off a few areas so I can permanently remove the painters tape from the rails and start running trains..... Oh and detailing those mountains!

Here are some pictures of progress, sorry they're not the best but it gives perspective of how the mountains are progressing.

nahasebe.jpg

myse4a5u.jpg

pu7y6yja.jpg

erureras.jpg

u4eha2yd.jpg

debybube.jpg

I also started painting a lot of the tunnel portals and retaining walls with Walthers concrete top coat. Need to put another coat on them and weather/detail them.

y5adyva3.jpg

ga2a2e3u.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Steve!! It looks like you are making some progress, those mountaine are going to look awesome. When you are finished with them, you will be glad you took your time doing it. Keep the pics coming, hope you are having a great memorial day.

Thanks
Scott

Steve, Looks great! I was thinking about using the plaster cloth so am especially glad you posted the photos.

lasm

Steve, Looks great! I was thinking about using the plaster cloth so am especially glad you posted the photos.

lasm

Thanks it's a great product that dries fast, sets strong and is very easy to use. I bought it online in bulk cheaper than buying the WS brand from a hobby shop. Found the WS sticks to itself when dipping more often but still both a breeze compared to paster of paris.

How much did you save, and where did you get it?

Thanks, lasm

I bought mine from "Casting Keepsakes" through Amazon for about $5 a roll and free shipping. Shipping says it'll take a week but normally shows up 2-3 days later.

Items OrderedPrice
4 of: Plaster Gauze 4inchx15ft for Crafts (Plaster of Paris Cloth Bandage Roll)
Sold by: Casting Keepsakes (seller profile)

Condition: New
Individually Wrapped; 5-8 Minute Set
$5.85 each
Order Total: $23.40

There's probably others out there cheaper the more you buy or the bigger the roll. I placed two orders of four rolls here and it still wasn't enough!

Hope this helps.
Steve

Another short progress video...

Short but shows the mountains taking shape. I applied my first coat of sculptamold in one area to see how it turns out. Stuff is super easy to use and clean up. I'll start working on finishing off these mountains so I can paint, add ground cover/scenery and detail. I'll try to post more pics and videos soon, work and school are keeping me busy right now!

http://youtu.be/7Hs6auDI8FE

Thanks for looking.
Steve

Nice progress! You've got a pretty complex series of tunnels but a nice way to get in them for maintenance.

Back