Steve's SOCAL BNSF layout

Steve, there's no need to sell those SD40's! Get a TCS CN-GP decoder and you'll be in business in no time. Well, it will take longer than a drop in but they aren't all that hard. Just take your time and you'll have DCC locos up and running. If you are happy with the way they run it would be worth the effort. If you are comfortable taking a loco apart and can do a reasonably good job of soldering, it's well within your ability.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Kato/SD401/Kato SD401.html

Steve it's very easy to wire in a dcc decoder. You just have to solder in a dcc harness to drop in a decoder
Well, I think this installation would be a lot harder than wiring in a decoder harness. Everything in a split frame arrangement is electrically hot. One has to be very careful to isolate everything from everything else in very tight quarters. There is no room for a superfluous plug or the extra wire from a harness. The author of the directions given at the TCS site given by Burlington Bob above agrees. Quoting his directions, "... make sure to decoder would fit ... had to mill the frame so ... isolated the frame from the decoder ... isolated the motor from the frame with tape. I then cut a notch in the plastic frame ... " While I still wouldn't put this installation the "hard" category (as a decoder will still fit and the milling is just a bit-off-the-top) it certainly isn't just a couple of easy solders.

Thanks all for the comments and feedback on the decoders.... Decisions decisions to make!

Been busy with work but managed to get a bit of my other industrial areas started.

c1380e4a1eb8f2b5fd7839594d1c231c.jpg

0e1e7b199dff290d002bb13f163a2cd4.jpg

6d0b70183acca66ad2daa660bd70254e.jpg

Also added some details to the busiest gas station on the layout - management was complaining of no ice, vending machines and dumpsters on the property! [emoji6]

3d3f2ae5653a15ccc02333108b843269.jpg

f8e0306cbe3e2d46fc9ca6ec69b40ebb.jpg

61d2786726b5cb698949536c23b5c1b7.jpg

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the comments and feedback, it's amazing how much those small detail items make the scenery more realistic...... still a long way to go.

Here is a short clip I made tonight while finally getting some time to run trains, sorry it's a bit short and probably shaky.

https://youtu.be/ylo6LR--3Rw

Steve

Thanks all for the comments and feedback. Not too much going on the layout, work was keeping me pretty busy the past few months so I've been working on a few items here and there. One was upgrading my locomotive fleet from DC to DCC. Ive managed to upgrade 21 of my 23 locomotives to DCC now. I was able to do all but three with drop in decoders but the other three I needed a lifeline - A special thanks to Mike and Robin at Fifer Hobby Supply who did the wiring for me on my older Kato SD-40's and SD-45. The items came back perfect and the customer service and turn-around of them was top-notch. I highly recommend them!

The other project I was working on was working out some track and scenery bugs that was preventing me from smoothly running intermodal traffic. Got those worked out and here is a short clip of some in action.... As always, feedback is welcome and thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/E2jqoMq-DHE

Steve

Thanks all for the comments and feedback.
You should consider joining the Santa Fe Railway Modelers and Historical Society. At the convention this year there was only 1 entry in the BNSF loco and BNSF loco consist categories. There were no entries in the BNSF maintenance of way category. I think you would have beaten the models that did show up.

The local switching crew had to do some last minute switching today before the holiday. I haven't posted any switching operations videos yet so this one is pretty basic (and rough). Apologies in advance for the shakiness in the camera and the poor video editing.....

Happy 4th of July to everyone, hope it's a good one and safe one for all!

https://youtu.be/HmhcOL7s9Ao

Steve

Nice videos Steve. Had to look at them again this morning. Temporaraly don't have internet at home and wanted to see them on a big screen instead of a phone.

I love going to the train shows, went to the one in Pomona Ca today..... Got a few nice additions for the layout!

dc2e6f738756df9e0caf62c02c9b1bac.jpg

271c136604a9f03f5f1ce6cc30d15b56.jpg

26b59439864d6f6e032fff8e19c9b7da.jpg

6a15ae66d4a6c42a3054d191a32a8fd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back