Steel bridge

That Atlas bridge just seems too short and compressed to me. Almost as if it needs another span or section added to it to look right. I have been looking for a nice appearing Pratt style truss bridge for a while myself. Im not about to pay big bucks for the brass units.

THey are pricey, but do look nice though, but how would you paint it?

Bridge with Lights

Here is my scratch built truss bridge complete with lighting.
BridgeWithLights.jpg

Here are the mini lamps I used and wired them in parallel.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780
I am wiring it with an old Bachmann DC power pack like this:
Bachmann6607.jpg

The bulbs are rated for 12 volts so I am using the variable voltage side of the power pack to dim the lights and preserve bulb life. These little bulbs are rated for 10,000 hours of life. They should last a good long time (good thing because soldering all those tiny wires in parallel was a real pain in the butt.
-Art

I had so much success with my first bridge I decided to make another one. Here is the first stages.
bridge01.jpg

I took a flat board to hold the sides in alignment. Then I held the upper supports over a tea pot to steam the wood so I could bend it. I secured it to my board with brad nails so it would hold it's shape. The staple gun in the first picture can dispense brad nails. When I was happy with the curvature I attached the other pieces to the board with brads till the glue set up. I traced the contour on the board so I could repeat the process for the other side of the bridge. When all the glue dried I glued connecting supports between the bridge sides and this is the result.
bridge02.jpg

Next some cross braces, some sanding, some paint then some more lights from Radio Shack.
I used this picture as a rough prototype:
VietnamBridge.jpg

-Art

Back