Steam loco decoder installation

trailrider

Three down and one to go! Just finished installation of a Soundraxx Tsunami Steam-2 decoder in one of my kitbashed Mantua 2-10-2's. Biggest part of the job was modifying the tender chassis by milling/filing away the reinforcing ridges to permit mounting of the speaker, drilling and tapping a mounting hole for the left track pickup wire, and drilling out the holes for the speaker sounds. Keeping the wiring long enough to allow the engine and tender to be separated if necessary, but not so long as to require a bunch of wiring bunched up inside the tender was a bit of a pain. But, it has gone fairly smoothly, and apart from deciding which whistle sounds I like, the locomotive runs great! (The motor was replaced some years ago with a Canon 20mm coreless motor, and a gearbox and drive shaft installed instead of the original open-frame, direct drive shaft on the bull gear.) That was C.B.&Q. #6300. Now all I have to do is its stablemate, C&S #910, which is the same kitbash effort, but with some details changed to represent the Q subsidiary's hog. These run fairly close together, for double-heading in DC. Once I get the second loco converted, I'll have to speed match them together. Then, if I want to run them double-headed on a modular club layout, it will be a real hauler!

Back