Static Grass Applicator Help

Hey guys, Railroadkid1937 aka the steam king back asking for your advise. So if you've been watching my youtube channel you'll know that my train club closed down due to an unfortunate set of circumstances. This year However we are getting back up and running in a new place. As such this has given me the drive to work on my modules again, I have about 14ft worth. I want to buy some static grass to really take my modules to the next level in terms of detail but I'm a little puzzled on where to start. I was looking at the woodland scenic's static grass but the bottle doesn't appear to tell me the length I'm thinking 6mm is about right. Here's the ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/391325871602?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. The other thing I'm a bit perplexed on is the actual machine that electrifies the grass. I saw a few on ebay for about $25. I know you can make your own but I figure instead of taking the time to gather up the resources let me spend the additional 17 bucks just to get one sent to me. Once again here is the ebay link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Handy-...603109?hash=item567ffef665:g:B0UAAOSwaA5WjPRh. I'm sure there''s a better machine but I'm not trying to pay an arm and a leg for one. If anyone could lead me in the right direction on what materials/machine to use it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks guys

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/Static-Grasses/products/1046/
There are a number of items available with different lengths and colors. I don't have enough experience with it yet to say which works best or how they look.

I purchased my applicator from Ebay. I can't comment on the quality of the one you're looking at, but it at least looks decent. I'm not sure why there is a HUGE disparity on pricing. Although I hope with the $169.00 version that it makes a damn fine cup of coffee while you're waiting.

hello Railroadkid 1937,

The length of the grassfibres are:

About Static Grass Flock™

Static Grass Flock is a fiber product that models grass and/or weeds. It is available in six colors and can be used alone, or with Fine Turf. Place under trees, along ditches or as forest litter. Attach with Scenic Cement™. Purchase the Scenery Manual for additional information about using the Landscape System.
Fiber length 1/16" - 1/8" (1mm - 3mm)

About the applicator:

I don't know anything about electricity...so I had to bought one and a good one( in Europe: for example "greenkeeper" from RTS)...Did/Will cost some US dollars/Euros 145,- but it was worth all!
specialy the 2 mm and the 6 mm realy shooting out the container!!
helas I do not know in the US companies that sells applicatorsorso I cannot compare ...=(
picture below:
6mm grasfibres and 2 mm together with a scots pine tree 5 inches
ClausbizarkieferH0_zpstsao3phu.jpg

Jos

ps
This year However we are getting back up and running in a new place.

Is there not a possibility to buy one/ paid by your rrclub? so more people can use this applicator? and a good one saves you a lot of time!
besides making meadows/grassland you can use the applicator too for making trees/shrubs etc!! Cannot make trees without this piece of equipment anymore!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your Scots pine there Jos, I would guess you're applying the grass to the bare branches to create the fine branches and twigs and then adding your foliage after? Or is it a gradual layer upon layer method you're using? Your meadow is so realistic, the birds are chirping, the crickets are cricketing (Oh, he's hit a six)

I made a static grass application out of a Harbor Freight electronic flyswatter. I am stunned that the Noch application is so expensive.

I hear that the woodland scenics static grass is all 2 mm. Is that true? Also for ho scale wouldn't 6mm be almost as tall as an ho figure?

The Woodland Scenics web site says their static grass is 1mm to 3mm long, equal to 3.4 to 10.2 scale inches in HO. Each WS container contains a mix of fibers in that range.

6mm is only 20.4 inches in HO scale. A six-foot tall HO figure is about 21mm tall, a little more than 3/4 inch.

- Jeff

???? again:

hello Railroadkid 1937,

The length of the grassfibres are:

About Static Grass Flock™

Static Grass Flock is a fiber product that models grass and/or weeds. It is available in six colors and can be used alone, or with Fine Turf. Place under trees, along ditches or as forest litter. Attach with Scenic Cement™. Purchase the Scenery Manual for additional information about using the Landscape System.
Fiber length 1/16" - 1/8" (1mm - 3mm)

written first in my message from 2-10 2016 !!

ok ok forgot this smily: ;-)
and yes I lost my patience a very litlle bit.. and I am sorry/appologize about that.
I still /always Hope that people do some (re)searching first on google or somewhere in this - unfortunately- huge thread- before asking. ;)
Making trees is about trail and error and a lot of things you have to "find out"by yourself....I just write/show the basics of making modeltrees ...it is all up to the person who wants to make them with the materials/products I use overhere in Europe and adding other products...or replace them by those you can buy overthere in your country.
That is how I started....I tried to imm. modelltrees made on USA layouts at first !!!but couldn't find the right/same products:D

Jos
c068a640-822f-43b5-b278-c64734c849df_zpse375f710.jpg

The only reason I asked for the height again was because I asked for woodland scenics specifically. In your first message you didn't mention that it was woodland scenics. 2nd I did do a bit of research but it's always good to get info from fellow modelers who have used a product. A lot of the time they can add knowledge or tips on what you've already researched from the main manufacturers site.

Back