Starting From Scratch: Newbie Layout Plans

cackalack jack

Planning my first 'real' layout since childhood - but with limited time, money and space.
I have big long-term goals, like most ambitious beginners - but will go the prudent route and start small instead.

To that end, I have decided to create a tabletop/shelf-sized N-scale "Inglenook Sidings" switching layout to practice soldering and wiring and scenery techniques.

Most questions that have come up in the planning stages have primarily been about Power and Control.
Would it be overkill to go full DCC with remote switch control for a small 48"x12" layout with only two turn-outs and under 6 feet of straight track?
Would I be better served just using DC and manual throws?

It costs so much to get started from nothing, I don't want to over-spend; but I also don't want to 'waste' money by investing in layout infrastructure that I may abandon in the future if I go bigger and better.

Thanks for any advice!

Peco_Inglenook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Jack, welcome to the forums, no question is too small and neither is a layout to deserve an answer. So ask away. In my case I went overkill NCE Pro-Cab-R for 2 lengths of flextrack test track (I do now get to use the radio cab at my club though). It's a tough question, the answer lies in what your expectations are and future plans/desires. With DC and modern engines with better drives/circuitry, the old DC power packs are not a good idea, so compare prices between the better ones and a good DCC system. If the ease of engine control, the capability to have, say, 2 switchers/locos operating on the layout without the need to keep them electrically separated i.e. blocks, then you'll truly appreciate DCC.

Forgot your turnout control question. Once again it depends. Just straight hand operation will certainly suffice till you expand and if you plan for automatic by drilling holes in preparation for switch machines later might be a plan.

will go the prudent route and start small instead. ... switching layout to practice soldering and wiring and scenery techniques.

Most questions that have come up in the planning stages have primarily been about Power and Control.
Would it be overkill to go full DCC with remote switch control for a small 48"x12" layout with only two turn-outs and under 6 feet of straight track?
Would I be better served just using DC and manual throws?
If the true purpose is to practice soldering, wiring, and scenery I think DCC and power turnouts is overkill. On the other hand if you are wanting to also use this to learn about those things (DCC and electrical control of turnouts) it is a different story.

If the latter, the problem becomes how much to spend on those things. Go cheap and plan on replacing them in the future, or go with something more costly that will still be usable and last the lifetime of any reasonable layout? For learning, with only two turnouts seems like you would want to power them in two different ways or at least control them in two different ways just to get a feel of two of the many the options. Personally I try to never power a turnout that is within reach of an operator unless it is one specifically for CTC type dispatcher control.

So how big would "bigger and better" be? Big being rated in number simultaneous of trains, number of locomotives, and/or number of operators. Even the smallest DCC systems are OK for many layouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back