Started the F7A paint...

Got all the decals placed and am now waiting for the "grey" to arrive Monday:

3wyK6L2.jpg

YdhxQJg.jpg

Well, I'm getting closer to the end ... the grey paint arrived unexpectedly this morning. I bought two shades, Wabash and CN - the CN won out although not sure if I like it on the A unit, or not the entire length of the roof anyway ...

3jO5v0c.jpg

MHDLLNl.jpg

In real life it is more a greeny grey and does look good as a contrast to the blue I think.

Thanks Chet,

I have to admit that I surprised myself ... I didn't expect it to turn half as well. I have to paint the fan installations black yet and am considering "rounding" the front of the grey of a bit - try to take away the "blocky look"

Next one I am in the process of doing is a CB&Q F7 B engine. That one is going to be a challenge I think.

Looking very good, especially considering the size as well. Back in post 29 you showed a scheme with a black or dark gray rectangle around the exhaust/fan area. That broke up the roof expanse. And rather than trying to put a curve in the roof color at the front, put a V point in that rectangle on the A unit to match the V of the windshields. Dullcote that area as well and smudge around the exhausts with black powders/pastels.

Toot'n,

The way it appears in that picture (post #29) is how it is suppose to look now. Seems I have made a blue and brought the grey down too much. There should have been a blue line between the grey of the roof and the weathered black of the side vents, as well as the roof grey coming to a "V". Looks like the "blue" comes back out for a bit :(

I am still painting around the fans black, as in the pic in post #29 but need to let the new paint cure over night. Getting too close to screw up the actual paint work now.

Once the main stuff is done, I'll focus on the detail work, the Horns, Fans, Hand Rails into the Cab etc.

Well, after hours in the work shop painting and re painting the thing, I have concluded that the F7 B unit is finished and ready to go on the test track! So here it is, complete with a "successful" DCC install.

https://vimeo.com/264122898

Weren't that exciting!!!!

Yeah yeah yeah, I know ... but I was bored :)

Toot'n,

You know, one day I liked the paint scheme, next day I didn't, I really didn't know what was going to happen with it all when done. Now I have the F7 A and B units completed (for the moment) and a MT 10-1-2 Heavy Weight Sleeper also painted, when put together it does look good. I think it will look better once I have all of the heavy weight cars done, a further 5 of them including an RPO car which I might leave out, not sure yet.

When the entire train is done, it will be about 4' to 4.5' in length and I think is going to look impressive rolling through the "hills" of the layout, especially being pulled by my K4 4-6-2.

Anyway, the video was a bit more of a joke than anything, as said - I was bored and needed something to keep me busy for 5 minutes :)

Last edited:
So far, I have F7 A/B engines done, a 10-1-2 Pullman Sleeper, a 50' Box Car and now have started on the Pullman Observation Car:

rHeElm8.jpg

This has a Burgandy Interior which I thought looked a bit mike Mahogany:

25ld7Sk.jpg

Have to paint the inside of the shell for the walls, the roof and the connecting door detail. I am thinking the same grey for the walls as for the roof but haven't made a firm decision yet. If you have any suggestions for the wall color don't hesitate to speak up :)

Got a little more done on the Observation Car, the interior seat have been hand painted, the connecting door surround (sorry don't know its proper name) and the walls of the interior:

q7dEKxP.jpg

The interior is painted to look like Mahogany, the seat bottoms in Grey Leather, the seat backs in Natural Leather and the interior walls in wood color. I actually got lucky and the window frames also got painted wood color which is pretty prototypical I believe.

It's really coming together nicely Tony! I can picture it going across a high trestle in one of those Dinner Train ads like I see in Trains magazine.

Back