Started the F7A paint...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hey guys,

Received the Badger Modelflex Acrylic paint this morning and am most impressed with it. As such, I have done the first step in painting my Kato F7A unit:

aXVUa9j.jpg

The final paint scheme will look something like this except in the CSX Blue:

lfAiybu.jpg

Kevin,

Thanks mate but aren't you a "tad bias" when it comes to the color :) I did get a little keen and painted the B Unit as well. The A unit had a white primer while the B unit had no primer at all and came out a little darker. Not sure which I prefer ...

4TwAu76.jpg

:) Think I'll take your advice and strip the A Unit, repainting it without the primer. Without the primer it is a little darker but is still CSX Blue and I think fits what I am trying (in vain at the moment) to achieve :)

So, come back tomorrow and who knows what color it maybe - how do you feel about "hot pink"? :rolleyes:

Okay, due to one of the units being primed and the not, I have stripped both units for a fresh and "final" paint:

ybrgUZ4.jpg

OJaa7vL.jpg

Both units soaked in 91% Alcohol for about an hour and were then scrubbed with a tooth brush to remove the color. The Badger paint came off very easily and quickly.

Both were then washed under cold water to remove any small paint particles.

Using a paper towel, the units were then let soak for 15 minutes in warm soapy water then dried of with paper towel and a quick once around with a hair drier.

Once they were placed in the soapy water, my fingers never touched them. They are as clean as one could possibly hope for and ready for painting at the same time.

I like the look of the blue for a base paint. I just ordered a basic model color kit from valloje paints , I’ve heard they are way different then painting with the craft paints. I own a bottom jar passche airbrush that is basically brand new , I have never gotten far enough to learn to use it. You Tony obviously know what you’re doing.

Thanks Lynn but I am still learning as well and getting used to how my new brush sprays which is better and much smoother than my old brush. There are another 2 or 3 colors to be added as well as decals, they will be the telling point of whether I do know what I am doing.

I've heard good things about valloje paints and was considering them for myself. The only thing that turned me off them was they are apparently solvent based and I can't tolerate the odor that solvent paints give off, hence my moving away from tru color paint. I also found their color range wasn't as extensive as the Modelflex especially where railroad colors were concerned. None the less, I'll be interested to hear what you think of them and look forward to seeing your first paint.

Tony I'm not so sure they are solvent based, I didn't really research that far into it although you may be correct.

Technically, ALL paints are solvent based, though in some cases that solvent is water. The Vallejo paints are alcohol/water based acrylics.

Thanks for clearing that up Kevin. When I was shopping for paint I wasn't necessarily looking for solvent based to replace my floquil paints but more a paint that flows nice and doesn't fill in the details.

Have masked the B Unit up for spraying and applied a light coat of dull-coat to stop and color bleed:

rpZOss0.jpg

Once the dull-coat has time to dry I'll be painting the side vents "weathered black" and the lower section black.

blackz28,

Thank you what is to come next (as above and beyond - we must have posted at the same time) is going to be my challenge. Hopefully it will look okay.

Well, the next two colors are on and I don't think it came out too badly...

i4wkkob.jpg

ogilJlA.jpg

ADkEhUM.jpg

The last picture is probably closer to the actual color as well.

I applied the first (of many) decals this afternoon:

0EiLteZ.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks as though it "slipped a bit" in the middle and I didn't notice it till I took the picture :( Hopefully the next one will be straighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very hard to pick, the tail of the f disguises it a bit. With the others, while they're still moveable, while it's on it's side, eye along the decal from one end, you'll soon spot if it's not straight.

Back