Stage Lighting for Layouts

I'm not quite sure where this would go, or if this has been discussed before, if so, please feel free to direct me.

Has anyone ever used theater lighting equipment to augment their layouts? I've been contemplating using instruments such as 3 inch Fresnels or what are known as "birdies" to get not only the scenic look but the lighting look as well.

Also - for those that have done this, is it safe enough to wire into a switchboard?

my biggest concern with lights is the Heat they give off. Not only for fire concern but if your in a small room with little air flow it can raise temps fast. I use overhead lights in my train room. I use those 2" halogen lights that I can Dim and aim . I have 3 of them and they basicly do the job. I think 2 more would help lite the corners better but thats just because I have shelves that cause shadows. I find that at night I have to dim the lights to get good pictures. if its at 100% it glares on any plastic surfaces.

How big is your train room and layout. I've seen the birdies used on large museum type layouts with high ceilings (like 14 feet) and well over 4,000 square feet of layout. For anything smaller, those lights would not only be overkill for the layout but they may very well start the room on fire. :eek:

Back