Speed Control

Chris Whit

Sorry about the quick registration and thread, but I am kind of in a rush and didn't have the time to search for this, as I was hoping to have the problem resolved by the time my grandfather gets here on Christmas morning to see the layout :p

Anyways, I get the feeling that this is a long shot, but is there any way of tweaking the speed of the locomotive itself. For example, i have a BNSF Dash 9, and a BNSF SD-70 MAC, both made by Kato, but the Dash 9 is leaps and bounds faster than the SD, and any other locomotive I own for that matter. So I was wondering if it were possible to slow down the speed of the Dash 9. (fingers crossed)

Thanks in advanced.

-Chris

Other than regearing or adding a resistor inline with the power to the motor, no physical way. Are you using DCC? If so, you can speed match.

As above. With DCC it's easy, you just need to adjust the voltage. CV5 is max voltage, CV6 is med voltage. Set CV5 to something less than 255, then set CV6 to half of that. Test the loco and adjust values accordingly. Setting 255 (or 0) means that full voltage would be applied.

As a starter, it is much easier to consist the same model loco with the same model decoder. However, that said, if your set up is DC, and one loco is much faster than the other, I wouldn't consist.

What is your set up DC or DCC? If decoders, what makers TCS/Digitrax etc?

Back