space to Support for scenery

dmiller

I have an open grid self construction for a logging layout in HO Scale. I am doing cookie cutter plywood sub roadbed under the usual Atlas cork roadbed strips. My question is how far out from the cork should I cut the plywood to be able to attach scenery. I will be using plaster soaked paper towels or cloth .. Would 1 inch be sufficient or should I leave more like an inch and a 1/2 or 2'' on the sides to secure the plaster sheets ?

Thank you!

I have an open grid self construction for a logging layout in HO Scale. I am doing cookie cutter plywood sub roadbed under the usual Atlas cork roadbed strips. My question is how far out from the cork should I cut the plywood to be able to attach scenery. I will be using plaster soaked paper towels or cloth .. Would 1 inch be sufficient or should I leave more like an inch and a 1/2 or 2'' on the sides to secure the plaster sheets ?
I don't know. What are you putting under the plaster sheets for support? Are you crumpling news paper on the cookie, or using wire mesh over an open grid. I just fill in the open grid with foam sheets and build up the contour of the topography with more foam and don't "attach" the scenery material to anything. It just lays on the foam. As such, my sub-roadbed is just about 1/2" wider on each side of the cork roadbed to "support" the ballast.

Of course I'm also a little confused that you said you are using open grid and then say you are using cookie cutter, so I am not visualizing how your scenery is going to work.

1" should suffice. What I did on my past layout was to hot glue pieces of wood under the sub-roadbed. That way your plaster cloth comes right to the edge of the sub-roadbed. then you still have room to add sculptamold, or ground goop (whatever your choice for cover is).

Sorry the open grid is the bench work . with risers to attach to the plywood sub road bed then I was going to use foam and paper or cardboard strips to support the scenery . then layer the plaster towel over the edges of the plywood and cover the wadded paper towels and foam scenery base

Would a half inch be ok in some places where I might have cut to close? thanks

As long as you have room for a ballast profile it can be whatever width. If its really close make sure the bottom of your rolling stock clears.

My layout is all open grid also. I used Homabed as roadbed with a combination of hand laid and Shinohara code 70 track. I would suggest leaving at least a half inch from the road bed to the edge of the plywood. A little more won't hurt. Herer are a few photos to show how an area progressed.

IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

20181024_143423.jpg

20181013_134106.jpg

Back