Space Program and our Model Railroads

BTW, at the early time I made original postings to model railroad forums, I made most of them to this forum. But somehow those postings and photos got 'lost'. So eventually I reposted some of it over on this other forum

special NASA Liquid Oxygen Cars

I would further propose a couple of ‘dream schemes’ for these cars. During the Saturn V rocket program to launch a man to the moon, there was big need for liquid oxygen used as a propellant for that big rocket. I did a little research on how that oxygen arrived to Cape Canaveral (thinking it might have logically been by rail), and found that Florida East Coast RR was on a semi-strike at the time....So the oxygen was trucked into the Cape (now Kennedy), and stored in big underground tanks. Had that not been the case, imagine if that oxygen for all those Saturn rockets had arrived via special NASA Liquid Oxygen cars

Bobby Pitts has done some great models of the cars,...

...and of course we now have the Broadway ltd plastic models of these cryogentic cars

Last edited:
NASA helium train

NASA_Railroad_locomotive_2.jpg

I see where MTH (Mikes Train House) chose not to ignore this NASA theme on some of their freight cars. It does appear as though a lot of them were in O gauge trains, and perhaps not prototypical.

[image]
[image]

[image]

[image]

[b282772ff66a9e410a8adb467abbb444]

[image]

[image]

[image]

This particular prototype photo caught my attention. it appears as thought that single tank car on the right side of the photo is a cryogenic car very similar to a few of those produced by Broadway Limited models,..

GRC-2016-C-05186.jpg

[GRC-2016-C-05186]
So perhaps I'll paint up a few of those 'undecorated' ones I have in a NASA theme.

Might be interesting to kit-bash a few of those 3 cylinder cars as well.

Back