Southern Railway 4-6-2 6488

One of my two Athearn Genesis 4-6-2's that I have I bought last year at a train store in NC. It was lettered as Texas And Pacific 721 and was an oil burner. It looked a little foreign running on former "Southern Railway" now Knoxville Southern rails. So I was looking on one of 4501's restoration pages and saw a picture of a Southern 4-6-2 in black paint and striping and southern across the tender, the paint scheme before the Green and Gold was developed in the late 1920's. So I took some southern decals, and some yellow stripes and now my T&P 4-6-2 is now of Southern Railway heritage! The Original number was to be 6648, but I accidentally forgot the extra 6 and added an extra 8. I researched a little to find that 6488 was a 4-6-2 on the Southern! She will be right at home romping the mainline or with a short branch line passenger train! Hope you enjoy!
%21BWK9b4QB2k%7E%24%28KGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKWMs-mLRQ%7E%7E_3.JPG IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0271.jpg

That is the truth. Quick question, I read somewhere that the Holding company that controlled both N&W and SR had left and that Southern acquired N&W and changed its name to Norfolk Southern also, is that true? If so would that mean that technically Norfolk Southern is now all Southern Railway?

To be honest, I've never heard that. What I have heard are things like when an N&W crew got a SRR engine for there train shortly after the merger, they wanted to keep it as the engine had been better maintained, and was a better ride, and everything generally worked on it. How true this was/is IDK. But it does sound good.

I believe I saw it on Wikipedia somewhere, so that may explain it. I also heard that N&W was hard on their engines even in the steam era, granted they produced probably the finest steam locomotives in the world anywhere but they worked them hard. Southern may not have had the best in steam but they surely took care of they. Same for the diesels

Here is the final product (for now) I took a white sharpie paint marker and traced the running boards and did the tires ever so carefully as to fully represent a Southern Railway 4-6-2. Tell me what you think!
IMG_0279.jpg

Back