Southern Pacific Coast Line in HO

No work today, just wanted to run some trains. Here a cab forward rolls a manifest freight past the beet loader in San Ardo, CA.

newlayout202.jpg

newlayout203.jpg

Don't worry about San Ardo being 100 miles from where the prototype one is located. In model railroading there is a thing know as "selective compression". On my layout, the distance from Galesburg, Illinois to Denver, Colorado is a bit less than 14 feet! Great progress on your layout.. That cab forward looks great! Burlington Route wasn't big on articulateds.

I saved myself $30.00 today. I wanted to put a passenger platform on the opposite side of the tracks from the station. I was looking at the one Walther's has and I was looking at the price. Took a good look at the photo and thought, "Well, that looks pretty simple." So after some Evergreen sheet, some .100" x .100" strips, and some Plastistruct shingle material, and a couple of hours, I came up with this:

newlayout204.jpg

Still needs a bunch of details of course, like passengers and baggage carts, and all that sort of stuff, but not too bad for a nice little one day project.

I'm starting to get a better picture of what I might do with all the real estate that I have now since I decided to add scenery to the large return loop/staging tracks in the back. Here's a mock up of one possibility. Sort of a suburban residential/business street. This is a very rough draft if you will. Probably will go through several changes before anything is final.

newlayout205.jpg

The other day I was cruising around on that internet thing when I came across this photo from railpictures.net

WestColton.jpg

It's Southern Pacific's yard in West Colton, CA. I saw that little structure there and knew I had to build it for my yard. I have no idea what it's for. It's too small to be the yard office for a yard as large as West Colton but, whatever, It looked like a simple scratch building project.

Here's the result.

WestColton02.jpg

Only took a couple of hours. I'm going to run to the hobby shop today and get some figures to complete the scene.

Don't think you quite nailed it, though. One guy in the original photo has a green jacket. 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, though, that is some amazing work!! Well done! I am envious of your skills.

Hi there, Mr p51,
I’m new here but I found your topic a few days ago and have really enjoyed reading through everything you’ve done, it’s excellent and I’m impressed.
You’re a “proper” modeller and should be proud of what you’ve built here, I’ll certainly follow along.
Cheers,
John

Back