Soundtraxx Tsunami connected to home amp and loudspeakers

CP6027

I wanted to hookup my Tsunami sound decoder to my large home speakers, just to see how good the sound really is on these new decoders.

This is a Soundtraxx Tsunami AT1000 DCC decoder being fed into a home theater receiver. This consists of taking the 8 Ohm speaker output and running it through a audio output transformer then using a 5K ohm audio taper potentiometer to control line level volume. Here is the link to the Yahoo Groups Soundtraxx forum where I got the information on how to do this. Thanks go out to those guys on that forum for all the help.

Here is some great information provided by Bruce Petraca at Litchfield Station. How to hookup a Soundtraxx decoder to an amp The schmatic linked to in the article shows a 33uF Bi-Polar cap in series with the decoder speaker output, but this isn't needed on a Tsunami so I didn't use it.

Here is a YouTube video of my results.

Jerry

I must be missing something here. The Tsunami going out to better speakers sounds great, as I would expect. My question is - what good is this? You certainly can't run a train dragging a speaker wire around and I doubt there's a wireless tranmitter that's going to fit inside the engine, putting aside power requirements. As an experminet to see if the Tsunami will feed bigger speakers, it works, but I can't see a practical application.

Jim,

On my old layout in my previous home, I had two speakers suspended at opposite corners of the trainroom. I would play the Mister D's Machine soundtrack of SD9's on Tehacheppi Loop, with the balance knob all the way to the right as my train approached, then gradually move it to the opposite side as the train passed. Took a bit of practice to get it sync'd properly, but it seemed very real to me. Provided many hours of fun.

I must be missing something here. The Tsunami going out to better speakers sounds great, as I would expect. My question is - what good is this? You certainly can't run a train dragging a speaker wire around and I doubt there's a wireless tranmitter that's going to fit inside the engine, putting aside power requirements. As an experminet to see if the Tsunami will feed bigger speakers, it works, but I can't see a practical application.

Well I never said it had a practical use. It is fun to be able to play big train sound at will. Also Soundtraxx makes a DSP-80 system that uses Digitrax transponding to localize train sound through a series of full size units. For me this was a good demo on how that would sound. Plus it just cool.

Jerry

Back