Sound for HO Kato SD70 or AC4400

AndyH5612

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have been out of the hobby for a few years, and I am ready to get started again. I found that model railroads are much more fun than the real thing after a while at CSX.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good sound system for the Kato AC4400 or SD70? I am looking for an all-inclusive system (every sound an engine would make). I saw a video on YouTube of an AC4400 with a Digitrax system. It sounded good, and included the air-dryer (spitting sound) that I dont hear on many other systems. I am looking for that to be included on the system I get.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

More than likely it was a sound decoder in the engine, and has nothing to do with the digitrax system, per say. Within the past few years it has become cheaper to put sound decoders into almost any type of engine.
The Digitrax system, the person was using in the video, was just the dcc system to control the decoder inside the loco. There are others that will do the same.
So what you are looking for is the sound decoder inside the loco and also a dcc system to use.

Digitrax makes sound decoders for Kato. Including the AC4400. I have one and am very happy with it. You can also change the sounds on the decoder, but this has proved more difficult then I had thought it would be.

I don't know if there is a sound decoder for as SD70 yet or not.

I think QSI has the best sound decoders out right now, but they aren't modern enough diesels for your needs. I also like the sound of MRC decoders, but don't recommend them unless you have an MRC DCC system, as they can be hard to progarm on other systems. The Digitrax sound decoders are also nice, and when the sound library on the digitrax website grows, you'll be able to get sound for just about anything.

So far, the Digitrax seems the best candidate. According to the video on youtube, the engine had a Digitrax FX decoder. I have a BLI SD-40 with the QSI which is great, but some sounds seem to be omitted. I like the sound of the air pop-off, air-dryer, "spitting" etc. If anyone knows for sure which system will allow this, please let me know. In the meantime, thanks for the info already shared.

Digitrax makes sound decoders for Kato. Including the AC4400. I have one and am very happy with it. You can also change the sounds on the decoder, but this has proved more difficult then I had thought it would be.

I don't know if there is a sound decoder for as SD70 yet or not.

I think QSI has the best sound decoders out right now, but they aren't modern enough diesels for your needs. I also like the sound of MRC decoders, but don't recommend them unless you have an MRC DCC system, as they can be hard to progarm on other systems. The Digitrax sound decoders are also nice, and when the sound library on the digitrax website grows, you'll be able to get sound for just about anything.
QSI has the best features but what they do is syntesize the sounds from the idle clip to make the running sound. My soundtraxx decoder equipped Kato F40PH along my BLI SD40-2 sounds alot more like a 645 turbocharged diesel than the Quantum unit..

The BLI AC6000 sounds great. It pops out quite abit of sounds randomly including compressor, Coupler sound, Hissing, brake squeal, engine, and a few other sounds I'm not familiar with.

I listened to a sample of the AC6000 on BLI's website. It sounded nice. I wish they made an SD70. I am also surprised that Kato does not offer anything with factory sound.

The only decoder which in no way is cheap that has 710 sounds would be Loksound. If you get the programmer with it I can make up a custom one for what you need.

Does Kato make sound for the SD70? I was under the impression that there was no sound made yet for the SD70 at all.

LokSound does make about the best sounding decoder for modern locomotives I've ever heard. I have locomotives with QSI decoders and BL sound equipped locomotives and LokSound beats them all. Of course, it just so happens that LokSound is also the most expensive. :)

Can anyone provide a link to where I can hear the Loksound samples? Their website is not as user friendly as I had hoped it would be. Thanks.

On their website they have a program called "Loksound Programmer". Download and install it, then download the files that you want from the sound tables.

Back