SOO Line Cabooses and Warning Beacons

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I been looking for a photo that shows the location of a warning beacon on the copula roof or at the rear of the body on either the Red/White or Brown SOO Line caboose. The best I could find is what looks like a roof top beacon. The Atlas Brown #199 has a what appears to be a indentation or sort of lense housing above the door of the caboose, but in this location any beacon would be difficult to see.

I want to install a beacon and like to find a decent photo of one.

Secondary, is the body of a Atlas caboose (#119) glued to the frame? It doesn't look like the body can be removed from the floor and frame. Does anyone have any experience with one of these???

I had have both Atlas and Athearn cabooses.

Thanks.

Greg

This photo is the best I could find.....

1572800352087.png

A yellow rather than a red warning beacon. I think since a Athearn caboose is easy to disassemble, I'll mount the beacon with a red lamp. I have several unfinished kits and would weather them as well.

Thanks.

Greg

Opinions or advice???

Soo line used a red strobe made by Unity Mfg, which called them a Saturn Safety light as the strobe tube was a ring shaped version with a central reflector inside it(like the rings of the planet Saturn!). The rear facing light was made by Prime Mfg and was a slow flashing light bulb unit and not a xenon strobe. Many railroad cabooses used those. Just a basic transistorized flashing warning light that slowly flashed on and off as a rear market light.

I ordered a BB SOO caboose off of E Bay that I'll use to install the roof beacon and interior light. The kits doesn't have any interior glazing for the windows, but I have some spare styrene which will work. I plan on a light weathering of a dulling coat of diluted white and and a some dirt alon the lower edgers of the cars. Of course some rust along the roof line and windows is going to happen as well.

The RTR units were the type with glue bodies to the frame so access to the interior was impossible without damage to the caboose.

Greg

Last edited:

Back