Sometimes I'm just dumb.

NYC_George

I bought 2 prints at the Big E show train show (2 for $45.00) and today I decided to buy the frames. Guess what no frames for the size of the prints 14 X 28. So I guess I'll have to make them. I made the first frame and found frames are not easy to make. There're hard to get perfectly square. I did the best I could I didn't want to spend all day on the project but when you make your own frame you also have to buy a sheet of plastic and cut it to size. I forgot that and I'm not going back to home depot. So the print is going on the wall just like it is in the below photo.

conrail_G1.jpg

Just get a mat that's the next frame size bigger than the print, and cut out the size of the picture in the center, and mount in the standard size frame.

I think the first one looks very nice from what I can see!
I would table the project until I had the proper tools - namely a pin nailer and a Carpenter's square.
You can make your frame square by nailing some "scrap wood/framing material" on a piece of plywood using the square to "make it square". Then cut your picture frame pieces, lay them into the "square pattern" that you made and using some good glue and the pin nailer - you can get them square.
I know that my instructions leave much to be described, but don't have time to make a drawing or a video, sorry.
Personally, I think that picture frame shops are legalized hold-up establishments. I know - my spouse has spent an ungodly amount having pictures framed. I have made frames using door jamb material of various sizes "stacked" that looks just as good for pennies compared. Don't give up - YOU can do it!

You maybe don't want to do it, but I purchased 4 corner clamps from ace hardware here - they save a lot of headache.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-90-Degree-Corner-Clamp-WS-1/204958409

Last edited:
George: Years ago, Fire Engineering Magazine was offering lithographed prints of horse drawn fire apparatus. I ended up using a larger frame and mat. Worked out well. They are still hanging on the living room wall.

Boris

The other thing you need to make accurately square shaped frames is a good miter cutting guide and saw.

I have a good saw Toot. The 2 long and 2 short pieces have to be exactly the same length. Just a hair off and it will show up in one of the corners. I didn't know this until today. The wood was cheap enough I think just $4.00 to build one frame. Online they want $35.00 for a 14 X 28 frame add the shipping and it's $45.00. I either buy one online or go back to home depot and buy a 3ft X 2ft plastic sheet and cut it to size and try and to get the frame wood measurements perfect. It's a nice print of Grand Central Station.

George

So it's on the wall. You can't tell the frame is just a bit off. I have track light out so it's a little dark there but it looks OK.

G1_on_wall.jpg

frames are expensive when you go to buy them custom cut. The ones we have had made cost more than the prints we put in them. Now we know that going in to the project.

having it dark in the room helps if stuff isn't perfect (chuckle)

"Sometimes I'm just dumb." Aren't we all? That's part of being human.

For me the picture is so good I would not notice the frame.

Only sometimes George? If you work real hard at it you could get up to my level! :p
I think it looks good, and th money you saved can go to more trains, win/win!

You ould always matte the pictures and go with a standard size frame as the matte can be cut to fit. Did this with some photos we took in Hawaii a while back. Found some inexpensive frames at Michaels.

Sherrel: Talk about Frame Shops being hold up establishments....I purchased a tank car placard at a swap meet for 50 cents and the framing was $30.000+ Tax.

Greg

Back