Someone is having a bad day

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Can you say OOPS!!!

36630717_10217095854407109_5516151833988431872_o.jpg

Last edited:
Just a little info for those who might not have known this:
The reason the trucks are not hanging from hopper but are on the rails and ground is the car body's shear weight, empty or laden, keeps them under it. There is only the center pin. I.E. All freight car underframes (bolster and above) are not attached to the trucks. I'm not sure about passenger cars, but my guess is it's the same..
I may have this bass-ackwards, but, tank cars (if not other types) have those especially tall coupler knuckles which prevent the tank from being punctured (when carrying flammable substances). They cause the offending car to climb up above it instead of right into it. Though here perhaps this tank does not feature that, as the hopper's bottom is not on top of the tanker..Or, could be this particular tanker never carries flammable stuff...M

Last edited by a moderator:
Who can tell me which way the train was travelling? I'm guessing from left to right. (Nicely framed pic of the mountain)

Just some of my observations:

They were coupling the cars. The tank was stationary and the hopper was brought in from the left.
I agree with Toot with the movement from left to right. During the crunch, the trucks detached and momentum
carried them into the tank.

From what the photo reveals - the hopper is obviously empty, hence the accordian effect. If loaded, it wouldn't
have distorted to that extent. The commodity would have added structural integrity to the car and there would
have likely been some spillage. They don't build cars like they use to. From experience, when the side of a
hopper is smacked with a sledge or large, heavy mallet (to assure it's empty), the sound isn't what's expected.
Wall thickness is kept to a minimum for weight savings and cost.

Surprisingly, the tank has no damage that I can see. Obviously, tanks are of heavier construction, being that
they contain liquids and much are Haz Mat.

I believe the accident happened because of too much speed and/or not knowing the proximity of the stationary
tank car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: The above statement is just a conclusion of an old, retired person and I don't claim to be
a railroad expert or accident investigator in any capacity. I'm just wasting time while two layout structures' paint
and glue are drying. ;):)

Back when I worked for the RR in the 70's we had to attend a Book Of Rules class every year. The class room had lots pictures like the one above, many far worst. The instructors explained how most of the accidents happened. I remember most were caused by some type of miscommunication between the engineer & brakeman, tower, engineer & conductor and so on.
George

Last edited:
Wow - that many laid on their side :oops: If that's gasoline on the ground, with those guys working that close - one spark.
But I would think, they neutralized the gas.
The train runs twice daily between Thompson Falls and Missoula delivering all types of fuel from the end of the pipeline from I believe, Alaska. The pipeline was refused permission to extend further by the traditional owners of the land it would then cross to go further. I've often wondered myself about what they do to clean the empties, as they would really be 'bombs' with just fumes in them.
Bet that made a bit of noise.
Would be a bit more than just coupler clank, for sure.

Back