It may not be all that impressive, but it gets the job done. :D

Trainset_1.JPG

Trainset_2.JPG

Trainset_3.JPG

Trainset_4.JPG

Trainset_5.JPG

Trainset_6.JPG

Trainset_7.JPG

These are the first photos I've taken of my train set, so excuse the slight blurriness. I'm working on it! :)

Hey there Carlos --

Any reason you chose the FEC? I am assuming you did it on purpose, since you also live in FL? Anywho, if so, I think it's pretty cool that you chose a local regional rather than a big class one to model. There's always more interesting operations on smaller roads, and on top of that, you have a much greater chance of being able to model a variety of power and cars that capture the flavor of your line.

I model the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway, the only major regional that ever existed in the Pacific Northwest, where I live. It became part of BN in 1970. I also model the Portland & Western, a modern shortline that now is bulging into regional status at about 550+ miles of track.

(You might want to see the "what do you model and why" topic over in the ANPL forum for more on this sort of stuff.)

abcraghead said:
Hey there Carlos --

Any reason you chose the FEC? I am assuming you did it on purpose, since you also live in FL? Anywho, if so, I think it's pretty cool that you chose a local regional rather than a big class one to model. There's always more interesting operations on smaller roads, and on top of that, you have a much greater chance of being able to model a variety of power and cars that capture the flavor of your line.

I model the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway, the only major regional that ever existed in the Pacific Northwest, where I live. It became part of BN in 1970. I also model the Portland & Western, a modern shortline that now is bulging into regional status at about 550+ miles of track.

(You might want to see the "what do you model and why" topic over in the ANPL forum for more on this sort of stuff.)

I primarily chose the FEC since the trakcs run right by my sister's apartment in Aventura, and I get to see FEC trains carrying auto carriers, intermodal cars, and aggregate hoppers. Nothing like being caught at a railroad crossing with two GP-40s and an SD40 shaking the ground all around you as you watch the awesome power of these trains...

I chose the passenger train since they were having a sale on FEC E8s, I think I got them each for about $20, and the offer was too good to pass up. Good to know that someone likes my trainset!

I also forgot to mention that I chose the FEC because of the influence that it had on Miami, my hometown. Flager Street was named after the FEC's president, Henry Flagler, we have the Julia Tuttle Causeway, Brickell Avenue, (which is US1, which runs paralell to the FEC mainline) named after those who convinced Flagler to extend his railroad to Miami. The city was so greatful that the citizens even offered to name it after him, but he refused. Without the FEC, Miami would've jsut shriveled up and died...

Well, not really, but it really had a big influence on Miami.

Some more photos:

Departing the siding onto the mainline:

Trainset_14.JPG

Trainset_15.JPG

Trainset_17.JPG

Trainset_16.JPG

The train speeding across a railroad crossing:

Trainset_8.JPG

Trainset_10.JPG

Hope you enjoyed! :) More to come soon!

The final photos:

Views from a single location as the train continues moving:

Trainset_11.JPG

Trainset_12.JPG

Trainset_13.JPG

Rounding another curve:

Trainset_9.JPG

Hope you enjoyed! :)

Hope you enjoyed!
Yep I enjoyed, but boy oh boy are you going to be in trouble when you start gluing scenery to that lovely hardwood floor :D
Thanks for posting the photos.

a920ddf1.gif
5a5fd791.gif
__Willis___CB&CNSfan

More Pics!

Here are some photos I took a couple of minutes ago:

Florida East Coast GP40-2 #420 resting after a long day.

Trainset_18.JPG

TPIX 225 resting along with FEC 420.

Trainset_19.JPG

A view of the two sidings, one with a Florida East Coast Observation Car and the other with a flat car loaded with two 40' Maersk containers.

Trainset_20.JPG

Here are some more:

Another view of the two sidings, showing Florida East Coast locomotive 420 (left) and locomotives 1035 and 1031 (right).

Trainset_21.JPG

Detail view of FEC 1031.

Trainset_22.JPG

Detail view of FEC 1035.

Trainset_23.JPG

Detail view of Florida East Coast 24-8 Slumbercoach Silver Slumber.

Trainset_24.JPG

A shot of an FEC Obeservation Car and a Coach, along with DTTX 54151, a double stack well car loaded with two Maersk containers.

Trainset_25.JPG

Arial view (partially) of the station platform.

Trainset_26.JPG

FEC 420, 1031, and 1035 along with TPIX 225 and DTTX 25017A are visible in this photo.

Trainset_27.JPG

DTTX 25017A, decomissioned, ever since I accidentally broke the coupler and some other parts while I was setting up the train set two years ago.

Trainset_28.JPG

Carlos,
Does FEC mostly run Intermodal also Really like the Paint Scheam on the E- Unit also where did you get the E Unit? Also this Shows anyone can have a Model RR even if you don't room for a Hugh one.

AmtrakFan

AmtrakFan said:
Carlos,
Does FEC mostly run Intermodal also Really like the Paint Scheam on the E- Unit also where did you get the E Unit? Also this Shows anyone can have a Model RR even if you don't room for a Hugh one.

AmtrakFan

I got the E8 units on sale ($20 each! :D ) from a HUGE model train store in Miami, Ready to Roll. The FEC does run some Intermodal trains, although they now seem to carry more trailers than containers. But I got this train set three years ago, so the trains have changed slightly. It was a Christmas gift, and in 2001 I went to Madrid and Paris, and this train went with me. One of the advantages of modelling in N scale! The E8 has the old FEC colors, which have since been replaced with those on the GP40, although those have since been updated. They run autos, intermodal, and rock trains from Miami, and just on Saturday when I went to the airport (at Miami it's just south of the FEC Hialeah Yard), and there was this HUGE consist of aggregate hoppers wrapping around half the perimeter of the airport (the train tracks run around the airport), more than 100 cars, and two SD40-2s, the FEC's newest additions, getting ready to pull the cars to Cocoa, Florida, where they run the rock trains to. It was amazing watching this huge string of cars starting to move as the train began its journey.

Back