Smoke units?

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
Howdy!

I need a smoke unit (or 2 or 3) for a diorama I'm gonna be working on. I need something that can put out copious amounts of white smoke for 5-10 seconds, and repeat every 30-60 seconds. The smoke unit will be mounted below the scenery and will be piped into the interior of the unit that is getting repeatedly smoke checked...

Any suggestions on what's good, bad, and ugly?

I'm gonna have an SD-45 in the shops (or maybe even out on the road) on a 1'X2' diorama, there will be workers all over the place, and the unit will try to start, and smoke will pour out of the generator and traction motors...

Well, this smoke unit will certainly produce large volumes of smoke. I've never seen another one that put out as much smoke as this unit - I think there's a small fan at the bottom that forces the smoke out so it looks like real smoke instead of that puffy stuff that most smoke generators make. Since you're going to be using it on a diorama, the general crud build up will add to the scene. :)

Just kind of greasy film from the smoke. It's a problem if you're using it on a running layout but it shouldn't be objectionable on a diorama.

Back