smoke unit

lmackattack

old school
Can anyone tell me how to wire up a smoke unit?

I have a suthe number 9. It has a wire lead at the bottom of the stack and thats it

the directions a very basic and tells little. Im trying to wire it to the green wire on a TSU-1000 (I think thats function 5 wire?)

Trent, you have a problem. The #9 Seuthe smoke unit is made to work inside a stack that has the contacts already installed. BLI has been equiping some their engines with these contacts but, assuming you're not installing this in one of those models, you need the #99, which has track power wiring. I hope you can exchange it since I know of no way make the #9 work with other than a preconfigured stack.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the stack itself is the equivalent of the other lead(one lead would go to the green wire, and the other lead would go to the blue wire), but you also have another problem: the Tsunami's function outputs are only rated for 100 ma. According to this Seuthe Smoke Generators Product Data Sheet, the #9 (as well as the #99) smoke unit draws 140 ma.
You have several options:
Chose a smoke unit that draws less than 100 ma.
Add a circuit(using a relay or transistor) that is controlled by the function output of the decoder and can power the smoke generator.
Use a second decoder to power the smoke generator(one option here is to use the motor output of another decoder so that you can adjust the smoke output).

hmm sounds like I do have an issue:eek: It was an impulse buy so I will have to look for a diffrent way to get it to work. thanks for the heads up

would a relay work like this

wire from LH rail to relay/wire to RH rail to relay (for power)
green wire from TSU-1000 (function 5 output) to relay switch to turn on/off power to the smoke unit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back