Small scales

matthornb

I find, from a standpoint of space required and cost of materials, that smaller scale models are more space-efficient and cheaper, but they often don't look as convincing (especially miniatures for visual effects purposes) and they can be more tricky to build.

I'm curious about what you all think of the smaller scales... (1/300 scale or smaller) - have you ever experimented with those?

What do you think of them?

I actually would have gone Z scale except the cost was prohibitive. So I compromised and kept it N scale.
Z scale is as low as I'd risk. I've seen one or two trains that were smaller, and at some point you end up just killing your eyes trying to build things!

And operations must be a nightmare. "Okay, thats the 802... wait... is it?"

Once you hit a certain level of small, I imagine operations decline a bit. I'm not sure how T scale trains are coupled but I'm pretty sure they're no good for switching puzzles.

It's true that you don't get quite the visual impact from the smaller scales. For film effects I'd definitely use a larger scale. I've seen convincing scenery in pretty much all scales, though. It gets more difficult the smaller you go, but it's still possible. You just have to get a bit more creative with what you use and change tactics a bit. (Natural-growth tree armatures are pretty much out for anything smaller than N, and for something like T scale I can see using something like tinted plaster to ballast the rails rather than individual stones.)

In a way, scale really influences the impact of a layout. A large scale layout is great for superdetailing everything, but not so great for huge mainline runs (unless you have loads of space). Small scale is great for long mainlines, but you won't have the same level of detail, mostly because it just wouldn't show up, and you'll have more difficulty when you do try to shoehorn small details in.

A Z scale layout of a trolley line, for instance, wouldn't be that effective imo, because none of the city detail would be visible even if you did manage to put it in. It would be like watching a car race with Google Earth. But a Z scale layout of a huge area (coal drags moving through mountains or something) would be quite effective. Perhaps nature just compresses better than large cities.

To get back to the original question, I think really small scale would be a lot of fun. But it's not for everyone or every situation. (Some people, as their eyes age, decide that HO is too small, and when your vision is that far gone, T scale is right out. If your Geep looks just like your pills, well, it's time to go up a few scales.) It depends on your vision, both in the literal sense and in the sense of what it is you like about model railroading.

Solution: Become a billionaire like Warren Buffet and buy your own 1:1 scale railroad (he now owns BNSF). You won't have to sacrifice details OR running quality! :D

I'd like to see a set of that 1:400 scale "TT" stuff just to build an honest opinion of it. But without having seen any of it in person I can't imagine it looks like much or is any kind of reliable. The videos on YouTube seem ok, though.
________
Help In Love

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, ok, this stuff:
T_review_04.jpg

(image from WikeMedia Commons, made by David K. Smith, released under terms of Creative Commons attribution-Share Alike 3.0)

I think the "nationaal modelspoor museum" (national model railroad museum Netherlands) has a bit of this, though they don't have a layout with it I think.

Back