Small layout 'benchwork'

Hank4014

I'm going to be building in a few short weeks a small layout that will fit under the kid's bed. It will be N-scale, 3'x4' (though most of his stock is HO, I have older N stuff that we'll use because there's not enough room for HO in the house).

I need to build a platform for it, obviously. It will have rollers underneath instead of legs, so it will be floor bound (or table top). It will be a DC layout, so I need to make space underneath for wiring. I was thinking of building a sort of 'picture frame' box on top of plywood, then putting foam on top of that, before laying the track on cork. Has anyone done this? Is it even a good idea?

Attachments

• nscale 3x4.jpg
    nscale 3x4.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 432
Its a great idea. I did the something similar. Mine is 38x56 and fits under my kids bed. Its foam on top of plywood on top of a frame made from 1x2s. The beauty of my design is that the frame on the bottom just fits inside the frame on the top of his Thomas table. This way it is perfect height for him or we can pick it up and slide it under the bed. I am still working on it so I dont have many pics but you can probably get the idea from this. And right now I have 2x4s screwed in to the corner so I can work on it in the garage.

DSC_0350.jpgDSC_0352.jpgDSC_0353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, though one of your kids doesn't seem to want their picture taken. Are the 1x2s laid on their wide edge?

They are on the short edge so the height is taller than the table edge. That way I have clearance for wires coming out for the controllers, etc...

Me neither but it is not that hard. Just pre-drill your holes when working with smaller wood like 1x2s. And remember - Measure twice - Cut Once.

Back