Small HO Track plan Switching Layout suggestions needed

n1vets333

I am by nature an o scaler but I am moving at the end of the year so I don't want to start on anything in o. I do however want to build a small ho scale layout. I was thinking along the lines of 2x4 to maybe 2x8 at the largest. I don't want a loop, I was thinking more of a small point to point like an industry with alot of switching, maybe even a railroad yard with a turntable. Whatever it may be I want to have a couple fo switching areas where it would be a challenge to move the cars around in the least moves possible. I also would like to have a number of trains moving at the same time, I plan on going dcc with a toggle switch option for dc. Any ideas or links that you could provide would really be apreciated. Another point that I wanted was a track that could be extended to add on to the layout in the future, something like a mainline option. I am lost when it comes to ho scale as I don't have a clue as to what resources are out there. Thank you.

Here's a site (http://www.thortrains.net/poorhoh.html) with some nice ideas for shelf sized switching layouts. A yard with a turntable is not possible even with a 2x8 but you can have a small yard operation with a lot of industrial switching in a 2x8 area. It would be easy to expand any of these layouts if you come into more space.

Those are some interesting ideas, I guess I have alot to consider. Maybe I should go with an industry rather than a rail yard.

If you are looking for a small switching layout - try this which will keep you fairly busy (please ignore the "buildings!" It is based on an Nscale layout by Mike Fischer

]

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you find a diagram for the "time-saver" switching layout? It would be similar to Shortline's sketch.

Back