Size difference between dry cell and Alkaline?

atvmax99

Hi All, I just picked up a PW GP7, 2338 and I went to install a D sized Alkaline battery in the battery compartment and I can't fit the cover back on and the battery is pressing up against the relay that activates it while I'm trying to get this cover back on which is operating the horn in the process. It is originally intended for a dry cell type battery but I assume that's because Alkalines weren't around in 1955. So I'll ask a dumb question here..Are dry cell batteries and Alkaline batteries the same diameter?

They should be. All that was available back then, I believe, were the D sized which went into everything, from flash lights to portable radios. When the Ni-Cad batteries came along almost 40 years ago, they had to maintain the same form factor or there would have been no enticement to use them, and that means no market. Something else is amiss. However, I'm always open to being schooled some, so maybe someone with more experience in this will help.

They should be. All that was available back then, I believe, were the D sized which went into everything, from flash lights to portable radios. When the Ni-Cad batteries came along almost 40 years ago, they had to maintain the same form factor or there would have been no enticement to use them, and that means no market. Something else is amiss. However, I'm always open to being schooled some, so maybe someone with more experience in this will help.

Thanks for the reply...I was thinking that too which is why I figured the Alkaline would've made no difference. I'll have to pull the shell off and see if anything looks out of place with the relay.

Hi All, I just picked up a PW GP7, 2338 and I went to install a D sized Alkaline battery in the battery compartment and I can't fit the cover back on and the battery is pressing up against the relay that activates it while I'm trying to get this cover back on which is operating the horn in the process. It is originally intended for a dry cell type battery but I assume that's because Alkalines weren't around in 1955. So I'll ask a dumb question here..Are dry cell batteries and Alkaline batteries the same diameter?

What am I missing? I am not privey to the "PW" ... may I ask what it stands for?

I have always wanted one of these 2338, I liked the color!

Size has nothing to do with this. A wet cell is a wet cell because it has water inside it. I made one as a kid with water, paper, lead and copper. Basically placing the paper between the lead and the copper and putting it into a container of distilled water.

Building a D sized wet cell isn't really that hard, IIRC, the batteries we made in science class were about that size. The trick tends to be making it something that has the correct voltage and amperage for the application. And that such a battery is unlikely to tolerate being flipped upside down.

As far as availabilitly, Alkaline batteries are extremely old. Thomas Edison developed one version of the battery well over a century ago.

EDIT: Size AA, C, D and the like are standardized sizes, they don't necessarily all have the same voltage and definitely don't have the same amperage. However, for a given battery chemistry they'll generally have the same starting voltage, it's just that as they discharge the voltage will drop. So, an Alkaline battery for AA will start out at 1.5v whereas a NIMH battery will start out at 1.2v typically and both with have differing amounts of amperage depending upon how precisely they were made and how long they need to last on a charge.

"C" size (smaller than "D") has been around a long time too, Try one of those instead.

Post War...the era of Lionel from 1945-1969.

Well -- seems sort of overkill to me since that model was not made PW (Pre War) :)
However: It is what it is! TOOT -- I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I don't remember any Lionel using other than a "D" cell? I'm with Crandell on this one?

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) publishes standards for the physical dimensions of batteries. For the "D" cell (IEC designation: R20), the diameter is specified as 32.3mm to 34.2mm. This is supposed to apply to all "D" cells, regardless of chemistry.

What I have not found is what year the standard took effect.

- Jeff

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I don't remember any Lionel using other than a "D" cell? I'm with Crandell on this one?
Just for interest sake, the C cell is 50mm x 25mm or 2" x 1", so quite a bit smaller than a B. Not likely to mistake the housing of one for the other then.

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) publishes standards for the physical dimensions of batteries. For the "D" cell (IEC designation: R20), the diameter is specified as 32.3mm to 34.2mm. This is supposed to apply to all "D" cells, regardless of chemistry.

What I have not found is what year the standard took effect.

- Jeff

Thanks for the info, that's good to know and that's why I assumed the battery I used was ok since a D sized battery would be standard!

An Alkaline cell would be the exact same size as any other dry cell. Yes, they do come in D, C, A, AA, and AAA sizes. There wuld be no point in having a larger sized D cell, as it would not fit in the things it was made for. My guess is that this question was answered in Post # 2 which no longer shows up in this thread, for some reason.

An Alkaline cell would be the exact same size as any other dry cell. Yes, they do come in D, C, A, AA, and AAA sizes. There wuld be no point in having a larger sized D cell, as it would not fit in the things it was made for. My guess is that this question was answered in Post # 2 which no longer shows up in this thread, for some reason.

Yes, I'm convinced the size of the battery is NOT the issue and just me trying to figure out how to get this cover back on with the battery in place.:confused:

Try putting the old battery back in the engine, and see if it fits. If it doesn't, look for something that has changed, like a contact or bracket that has moved out of position.

Try putting the old battery back in the engine, and see if it fits. If it doesn't, look for something that has changed, like a contact or bracket that has moved out of position.
It could be the pack position is a bit wrong, or the wire harness not being stuffed correctly (it's getting pinched somehow), but also the old covers had simple folded tab hinges in some cases, and those need to be stretched out while aligned open, and then folded over without letting the hinge tabs collapse back to their 'resting' positions again.

Having missed the entire conversation... so also just for information sake - technically, an alkaline battery is a dry cell.

Back