Single Line Drawing of my Layout....How do I Create One?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
How do I create a single line drawing of my layout's track plan, similar to one found on a CTC Machine Board?

Thanks.

Thanks Sherrel, I was thinking about this last night and did find that same info when I Googled the subject. I answered my own question when it dawned on me that all I had to do was unwrap my track plan into a straight line drawing, going north to south. Sounds simple, hey.

I used to work with electrical and piping straight drawings and they were simple to understand.

With my virtual pencil and paper I figured out how to draw the section of track work, the Saxeville Interchange, that was causing me headaches.

Think I'll use Excel and the MS Paint to do the drawing???

Thanks.

Greg

I'm going to suggest using a desktop publishing program, one that has a "snap to grid" function. That will keep your lines straight and even and making adding lettering easy. I don't really have a suggestion though, as I don't use one myself these days, so I'm out of touch with what they can do and which ones would work best at a decent price.

Greg: I was thinking about how I did mine many years ago with all sort of switches, lights, and all.
I was having a hard time trying to remember? I just wish I could find my homebuilt powerpack drawings using a 110/120 variac as a starting point.
Looks as if you have a handle on it now!

"Back in the Day", you'd get some tape and a piece of Masonite and do it all by hand. Or, if you wanted to be really snazzy, you'd get a piece of Plexiglas, put the tape on the back in a reverse image, spray paint it all, then remove the tape and illuminate it from behind for a really fancy look. Keep in mind the real thing didn't look that way, it was usually pretty basic, at least the vintage ones.

Back