Since when did M.B. Klein become so slow?

Just for information gentlemen, here are the "Factual" price differences in US Dollars for the identicle order:

Hatton's $340.06 (including shipping)
MB Klein $505.78 (PLUS shipping)

I think I can tolerate an extra $15 for shipping with Hatton's.

Ok, what items are you ordering to compare apples and apples. For example, if I ordered an Athearn Genesis engine from Hattons, would it be about 1/3rd cheaper as your figures imply?

MBK has always been among the lowest cost and margins are reportedly smaller than they used to be whole sale vs. retail. So I'm trying to wrap my head around how Hattons can get US model supplies shipped across the pond to England and then charge a large percentage cheaper and still make a profit. Or is there more to the story, like your buying UK stuff and not Athearn/Intermountain/Tangent/Atlas stuff?

As the Irish say, what's the story?

Edit:

Ok, I decided to visit Hattons and do a quick search. Athearn, Intermountain both came up a big zero. Atlas, only a few items.

So from what I'm seeing, this is a non starter - this is apples and Yorkshire puddings. Two different kinds of beasts. Sounds like if I want to order Peco track maybe they would be cheaper, but for a lot of American stuff, they have limited or no supply.

So I'm asking myself, why is Hatton's being brought up in a topic about MBK when they don't have most of the primary products MBK has? Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are missing the fact that Tony/Wombat was able to find the products he needed both at Hattons and Klein’s but Hattons cheaper and their order completion seems to be faster than MB Klein’s.

What is it we're buying and why not give out Hatton's website URL?

I did google Hattons, and it got me to a website for everything but trains, then when I added Model Trains to the search, I got a Hatton's site That didn't allude to their carrying HO. The did carry OO, O and N scale.

I did google Hattons, and it got me to a website for everything but trains, then when I added Model Trains to the search, I got a Hatton's site That didn't allude to their carrying HO. The did carry OO, O and N scale.

The pic pic is just an example ...but since they are a UK store it’s obvious they would carry mostly OO rather than HO. That being said plenty of OO stuff is compatible with HO...especially Peco track products.

CDFCE7D3-0AB1-47AF-B164-4FBD09DF2E1F.jpg

As Gene said, I was buying N Scale Peco track and switches, made in the UK not the US.

Why didn't I post the Hatton's website link? No reason other than most people seem to favor Klein's so I figured it'd be a waste of time. However, for those who are interested in saving money and so forth, here it is:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/

Tony, Thanks for the clarification! I love to look at new websites and if I can save some money, so much the better. If an order takes a bit longer to process; or a few days longer in shipment (which Hattons doesn't seem to need) nothing I ever need would put me in "Dire Straights" because turn around time takes a bit longer. Remember, I love to build models, so savoring the time spent, is all part of the enjoyment for me! Hattons is in my "Favorites" now.

As Gene said, I was buying N Scale Peco track and switches, made in the UK not the US.

Why didn't I post the Hatton's website link? No reason other than most people seem to favor Klein's so I figured it'd be a waste of time. However, for those who are interested in saving money and so forth, here it is:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

My Hatton's order arrived (in my hands) via DHL at 12:05 TODAY!

Ordered Monday morning UK time, paid $165 less than anywhere in the US and got it in my hands 3 days later. Three (3) days from placing the order to having it from London UK.

I think that say's it all.

To be honest...Hattons is great about shipping speed/time but even they get slowed down due to the Christmas rush...so anything ordered between mid-November and the new year can take a bit longer than what Tony just experienced.

Genetk44,

Yep, you did predict this. I wasn't expecting anything until Friday and that would have been quick. Also realize that come christmas places get busy and things will slow down a bit, that's natural and should be expected, no matter where you buy from.

Mark,

For anyone modelling N Scale or any scale, this is the place to go for Peco products, which in my opinion are the best around outside of Flieschmann. The only down side it they don't appear to carry HO stuff but there are plenty of HO outlets anyway and I am sure that there are UK stores who do have HO.

This order arrived today, can't complain about Klein's packaging

DSC05106.JPG
Parcel measures 9 x 9 x6

DSC05107.JPG

Lots of inedible peanuts

DSC05108.JPG

What was in the peanuts.

Yeah, I used to keep the peanuts at one time, thought would come in useful if ever I had to post something. But then they got to the stage they might make a great Unca' Scrooge McDuck's money bin type thing to go diving through. Gave away that idea on safety grounds, might not be able to swim to the top and starve to death. Didn't have any milk and Cocoa powder, so wouldn't have been able to eat them either.

Back