Signal and turnout control options

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Two questions on the RE-CirKits.....

I read some sites that said you need the locobuffer and PR3 if running a digitrax loconet command station and other say one or the other. Can anyone clarify?

Second question if running searchlight/target type signals will the signalman work or do you have to use the SDB-4? If so is that still compatible with the signalman?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fcwilt

Two questions on the RE-CirKits.....

I read some sites that said you need the locobuffer and PR3 if running a digitrax loconet command station and other say one or the other. Can anyone clarify?

Second question if running searchlight/target type signals will the signalman work or do you have to use the SDB-4? If so is that still compatible with the signalman?

Thanks in advance
Steve
A LocoBuffer is a simple interface between a computer and a LocoNet network.

A PR3 can be an interface like the LocoBuffer OR a programmer for Digitrax sound decoders.

To change modes on a PR3 you have to push a button on the PR3, which means of course having access to the unit.

If you only need a computer interface the LocoBuffer is less expensive, smaller and requires no access.

Before RR-CirKits developed the SSB line of products they had the TC-64 which had 8 ports to which you connected cards like the SDB-4 to configure the port for a given function.

They have cards for occupancy, turnout control, relay control, signal control, etc.

For most purposes the TC-64 has been supplanted by the SSB line.

When property configured and wired to your signals the SignalMan can drive searchlight signals itself - no need for a SDB-4 as was used with a TC-64.

The manual for the SignalMan discusses how to do this for the various types of signals that it supports.

Some of the I/O modules that were originally designed for use with the TC-64 still have a place with the SSB line (the TowerMan or Aux ports on the other boards).

For example the RB-4 could be connected to a TowerMan if you needed 1 to 4 relatively robust relays (SPDT 10A).

Frederick

A LocoBuffer is a simple interface between a computer and a LocoNet network.

A PR3 can be an interface like the LocoBuffer OR a programmer for Digitrax sound decoders.

To change modes on a PR3 you have to push a button on the PR3, which means of course having access to the unit.

If you only need a computer interface the LocoBuffer is less expensive, smaller and requires no access.

Before RR-CirKits developed the SSB line of products they had the TC-64 which had 8 ports to which you connected cards like the SDB-4 to configure the port for a given function.

They have cards for occupancy, turnout control, relay control, signal control, etc.

For most purposes the TC-64 has been supplanted by the SSB line.

When property configured and wired to your signals the SignalMan can drive searchlight signals itself - no need for a SDB-4 as was used with a TC-64.

The manual for the SignalMan discusses how to do this for the various types of signals that it supports.

Some of the I/O modules that were originally designed for use with the TC-64 still have a place with the SSB line (the TowerMan or Aux ports on the other boards).

For example the RB-4 could be connected to a TowerMan if you needed 1 to 4 relatively robust relays (SPDT 10A).

Frederick
Frederick,

Ok, I'll get into that signalman manual and read up on them. Good to know the extra parts won't be required by the sound of it.

On the PR3/Locobuffer - so if I use Digitrax decoders and plan on programming them in the future do you recommend the PR3? I wouldn't need the locobuffer then correct? Just the PR3 and an SSB adapter right?

Thanks again for the help.
Steve

fcwilt

Frederick,

Ok, I'll get into that signalman manual and read up on them. Good to know the extra parts won't be required by the sound of it.

On the PR3/Locobuffer - so if I use Digitrax decoders and plan on programming them in the future do you recommend the PR3? I wouldn't need the locobuffer then correct? Just the PR3 and an SSB adapter right?

Thanks again for the help.
Steve
You only need the PR3 if you plan to upload new sounds to a Digitrax decoder with sound.

For normal decoder programming you just need your command station.

But as I understand it you need to have access to the button on the PR3 to put it into the mode for uploading sounds.

So this would not be convenient if you wanted to mount the device under your layout.

If I was going to be needing to upload sound files I would keep the PR3 for the workbench and use the LocoBuffer for the computer-to-layout connection.

Frederick

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to help in anyway I can.

Frederick
Frederick,

Its been a while since this conversation ended. However, I’ve moved across country and started a new layout build since then and I’m to the point I’m wiring up for block detection. Might have some RRCirkits questions as I go if you’re still able to assist.

Thanks
Steve

You could have a look at ARCOMORA. It's a range of Arduino shields including free software downloads. There's a DCC servo & accessry decoder, very versatile, and there's a DCC sinal decoder with which it is possible to program your desired aspects. Also a loconet sensor feedback module is available. Nico ships them worldwide without profit motive, just against costprice + shipping.

The PR-3 or the newer PR-4 also provides a display of what the values were programmed for the CV's. I have a PR-4 and and enjoy the ease and little time it requires to do programming.

It will only program sound files to Digitrax decoders.

Greg

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com