Siemens SD70/SD100 LRV

I have been looking high a low for a manufacturer that makes Siemens LRV models. The new SD70 or SD100 are what I am looking for. I want to eventually build a model of Salt Lake City. Any suggestions on where to look?

Last edited by a moderator:
model of SD100

Hi,
In RMC 12/2008 there is an advertisement of MTS imports for a brass version of the Siemens SD100.
Try their website: www.mtsimports.com
(address is in Middletown, NY)

Regards
Norman

I'd be really careful about giving MTS any money. They are way behind on production shcedules and have stopped all selling through dealers. I think they are another victim of the failing economy and I have no confidence in them as an ongoing business.

I have looked at MTS. What is the deal with brass models? Are they display only, collectors type stuff? I want to get one and paint it with SLC colors. I found a company at http://ihphobby.tripod.com/. However, they say they will have SD100s, but haven't surfaced yet.

Peter, brass is bought by both collectors and modelers which actually run them. Their intrinsic value is not as high as the price but that's because there are are always speculators in the market trying to drive prices up. Until recently, the weak US dollar really drove up the cost of brass as well.

I would give you the same warning with IHP as with MTS. These are small, poorly capitalized businesses that depend on the sale of the last order to have money for new orders. Unfortunately, much of their stock isn't selling and that which is is selling at much reduced prices. As you could see on the SD100 page, they have a pre-PR-production model shell without even the right pans and it says it will be available in 2008. Unless that happens by next week at this time, that's not going to happen. I think many of these small companies will be slipping into oblivion next year. If you can place an order without a deposit, that's fine. Just don't give them any money.

starting point for SD100

Hi Peter,

Probably this won't help you too much, but nevertheless, I'd like to give this info:
Since I'm not an expert I try to collect some information.
For some North-American cities there was the Siemens-Duewag U2 (San Diego, Calgary, Edmonton). This seems to be the predecessor of the newer SD100.
However, they look quite similar (window are smaller, but the same position and number).
In the 80's there was an Austrian company MSE which manufactured the U2.
After some research I was able to find an auction on hood.de, something similar to ebay (of course, much smaller).
Here's the link to the current auction (still running 2 days). If you interested in this item, perhaps you could contact the seller concerning an oversea-selling.
http://www.hood.de/auction/33900463/mse-frankfurter-u2-modell-u-bahn-raritaet.htm

starting price in 150 EUR, buy now is 200EUR, but it seems to be that you could make an offer, too.
Unfortunately, all the text in the auction is in German.
I have to add that I haven't dealt on hood.de up to now so I have no experiences with it.

Might help you....

Regards
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:
Old thread, but I am also very interested in this style of LRV. I checked that IHP website but I don't see it, so I dont know if it just didnt pan out, or they sold out.
I know about the MTS Imports one, seems to be available through Uncle Dave's Brass trains, but at $749 each, it sure would be hard to build up a decent supply of these. We don't need brass, plastic would be fine. I thikn the trouble is, no one wants to venture into all the design work just for the handful of us out here who would actually buy them.

Back