Show us your best F units

malletman

Alcohaulic
Time for an F unit parade!! Lets see your best F units, from FT's to F9's and everything inbetween. As soon as my digi cam battery recharges, I will get pics of my black and gold Monon F3 ABA team, all powered but the B unit will be a dummy soon as its power chassis is going under my cream and crimision passenger F3. I have settled into doing the Monon on my new layout, era is just after dieselization with F3's ruling the mainlines. All of my F's are Stewart with Kato drives under them. All are in the process of getting TCS decoders and working Mars lights in the passenger units. Cheers Mike

I'll have to get a better picture of this. This unit was done about 20 years ago because I couldn't find any accurate F-7s at the time. It has been repowered with a can motor and constant lighting installed. Started as an Athearn unit.

Picture 356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a guy i saw on youtube who has some seriously nice looking PCM F7's in NYC paint. Gorgeous looking units.

Other than one set of Bowser F-7's which haven't been finished yet, the only other F units I have are on the to do list. Cary FT body, on a Hobbytown frame. I have just begun the redetailing on it, and it won't be ready for the paint shop for a while.

Mark I worked with these NH FL’s from 1969 to 1981. I wanted to buy 2 of the brass units like the one shown here but the $600.00 price scared me off. One day we hit the rake off blocks with one at North White planes. The electric shoe became detached and before we entered third rail territory the mechanic tied the shoe and power line to the latter. I said wait a minute when we start drawing power from the third rail won’t the latter be charged with the 700 volts picked up by the other shoes. He untied it.

George

Mark I worked with these NH FL’s from 1969 to 1981. I wanted to buy 2 of the brass units like the one shown here but the $600.00 price scared me off. One day we hit the rake off blocks with one at North White planes. The electric shoe became detached and before we entered third rail territory the mechanic tied the shoe and power line to the latter. I said wait a minute when we start drawing power from the third rail won’t the latter be charged with the 700 volts picked up by the other shoes. He untied it.

George

LOL sounds interesting. Yes thats a Overland Brass CDOT FL9. I remember delivering one of the FL9's to the CT Eastern Railroad Museum in Norwich, CT. We picked it up in New london and brought it to norwich one night. I had a hell of a time finding the handbrake in it, LOL. Didnt know it was in the engine compartment behind the engineers seat!

IMG4621-L.jpg

I don't have any F-units yet, but when Rapido starts delivery of those FP9s, I'm going to get a pair of the undecorated ones to be painted into the Pan Am Railways scheme. (The real railroad has a pair. They are ex-Conway Scenic)

I wonder if anyone makes N scale F units in these rare yellow and blue war-bonnet schemes?
I actually saw the blue bonnet F-unit in the North Wichita yard in the mid-1960's. I saw the B unit on the turntable once. I would go by the yard and say, "just a bunch of stupid old F units". I wish I would have known at the time they were all being pulled down to Texas to be converted into CF7s. I wish I would have know the war bonnet scheme was on its way out..... I could have gotten tons of wonderful photos.

Back