Shelf or straight line layouts

I linked to them before, but here is the "shortline" (the author calls it falls mill):
Oh, I missed that somehow.

I really like a continuous running train, ...One of the big issues I have with that layout is that there are not two separate tracks as in the first link I posted in this post. They all join up at "Conn Jct".
So you are saying you would also like a double track mainline. You could very easily make the 5x9 into a double track mainline mostly by ditching the pulp wood siding, but then it is already over crowded so it would become even more solid track.

So what has happened to the shelf type layout. Is that idea gone now?

Oh look, he has already done a double track version.
HO_5X9_out_n_back_dbl.jpg

Oh look, he has already done a double track version.

Ah, you are correct. I still do not know if I can do the 5x9... I certainly could only afford the inner track to begin with due to the large number of turnouts (e.g. cost).

To answer your other question, the shelf idea is not gone, but it does not offer continuous running, which is one of my criteria.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
number9 I am with you on watching a train run in a circle. I surmise it comes from my "999 Marx" and small - say 3x6 foot - slide under the bed layout that I had for years. I would lay on the floor and watch that train go round and round for hours at a time.

I have come to the realization that the 5'x9' will not fit in the space provided. I will have to go with the 4x8.

I am seriously considering this 4x8 layout: http://www.layoutvision.com/id48.html

On that layout, I would probably add another turnout just in case of later expansion, or for a later yard (to just store cars).

Does anyone see any big issues with this layout?

Hey number9, sorry if I missed it, but do you know the dimensions of the room? I only ask because I, like you, enjoy the "trains in a circle" as well, and I'm in the process of building an "around the room" layout in a 6x10 room in my basement -- so that's entirely possible (unless you're planning on having a LOT of people watching or operating the trains at the same time. Here's a picture of my original track plan (it has changed some since), and so far, so good. I built a duck-under and put the entire benchwork just below armpit level, so the duck-under isn't too bad (if that's a concern).

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60104&d=1484024521

Here's a link to my progress thus far, if you care...I'm still early in the entire thing, as you can see. But I know the track plan fits and works (I've run trains on it already).
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...-Gage-Portage-amp-Western-from-the-very-start

Just saying that, depending on your room size (again, if I missed that, sorry!), you might not have to give up on an continuous mainline concept, if you can manage a duck-under or lift-out section (if I missed that too, again, sorry!)...

If you consider using some curved switches, you might be able to fit a few more, or longer sidings in your space.

number9 I am with you on watching a train run in a circle. I surmise it comes from my "999 Marx" and small - say 3x6 foot - slide under the bed layout that I had for years. I would lay on the floor and watch that train go round and round for hours at a time.

I kinda always took it for granted that these are models and there is no way to make em do everything like the real ones so roundy round is pretty much what you are going to get. I hear you on the "ZEN" aspects of a train going and going, very meditative.

Sounds like you have plenty of room for an end to end with small turntables at each end, perfect for op sessions and highly detailed layout.

I have come to the realization that the 5'x9' will not fit in the space provided. I will have to go with the 4x8.

I am seriously considering this 4x8 layout: http://www.layoutvision.com/id48.html

On that layout, I would probably add another turnout just in case of later expansion, or for a later yard (to just store cars).

Does anyone see any big issues with this layout?
I didn't see any one having any issues with this, any news on what you have decided or are still considering?

For a 4 x 8 - I think that you have chosen a good plan. I like the 22 radius curve for larger locomotives.

Try to answer a number of items at once...

The room itself is actually large, like 30'x17', but due to doors, equipment, stuff, etc, the room has been cut down.

I agree that an "along the wall" might be better off, but then it makes the continuous train running more difficult.

A large L might be an option, like say 16'x8' but there are logistical issues ( like moving the tons of stuff in the way
and finding places for it all).

I used to have some curved switches, I can not find them at the moment.

I have one pack of peco SL8300 track, a number of #8 turnouts (which are kind of useless now) and the rest are #6
turnouts and one #4 wye. (all of my track is PECO).

I might be able to sit down and create a drawing of the room in scarm/or something else.

A dumpster sounds like a good proposition, or a garage sale?

Heh, most of it is actually tools... the tools I would use to build the layout. ;)

The other item is the SO wants to do something with "the other half" of the room... so in theory, I could use 1/2 the space.

Sounds like you have the space for which ever way you want to go once you rearrange.

Back