Shay train by Roundhouse

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
I recently acquired several cars and a couple engines at an estate sale.
Included in the box were several freight and passenger cars promoting the SHAY Company engines like "billboard" box cars. These are "old timer" 7 cars and a caboose
They were made by Roundhouse. I have not seen these before.

Can someone tell me when these were first put out by Roundhouse?
Were they a special run?
Mikey

Mikey;

IIRC, they came out shortly after the release of the shay kit, in the 1980's. These were along the same lines as the "Gorre and Daphedid" cars of John Allen along with the release of their SP 0-6-0 kit lettered for the G&D. They were limited release, again IIRC.

Personally I'm still looking for a reasonable priced "Shay Racing Team" T-shirt.

Thanks for the information, Carey!

I had looked on line for information without any luck. I figured this forum was my best bet to find out about them.

I started hanging around the Wrecking Crew in 1992, so these were out of circulation before I was truly bitten by the train bug.

Carey- It is great to see you contributing your knowledge here again. Hope the meds will get you back to as normal as you get. I just heard an "AMEN" from Rex.
Mikey

Mikey, I remember this set very well. I think MDC Roundhouse released their first Shay 360 kit in 1979 or 1980. They made up a set of 34' Overton passenger cars, a couple of box cars, and a caboose that sold as a commemorative of the Shay introduction and I think the first 50 purchasers of the Shay got a chance to get the train for something like $15. I can remember the ad in RMC sometime in late 1979 but I don't know the month. If you have the complete set, which I think was three passenger cars, three boxcars (might have been reefers), and a caboose. I think you've got a pretty rare bird. I've only seen one in person and I've never even heard of anyone else having this set.

I have some of the Shay cars, but bought mine here and there over the years. Does anyone recall that Roundhouse also brought out a few softcover books on the Shay? Got them too, ordered them directly at the time. Lots of proto photos and kitbashing ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, rather than responding to spam, just report it using the red triangle in the upper right corner. Once the spam is deleted, your comments are left behind, making it look like you're directing your comments at my post. I know you're not but others might not.

Back