Setting Up a WiFi Network on a Hand-me-down Laptop

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I just received a refurbished Dell laptop with Windows XP and JMRI 4.17.2 on it, to use exclusively in my layout room. The JMRI software is fully installed and functional, now I want set it up with my NCE system so people can use their smartphones as throttles. The friend who gave it to me said all I have to do is "...go to WalMart and get the cheapest router available, install it, and give your new WiFi network a meaningful name." Ok, sounds easy enough, but...

I don't know if there are any routers available that (1) still support Windows XP, and (2) can be installed without being connected to the internet. I am purposely isolating this laptop from the outside world since the operating system is so old.

BTW - I can't just piggyback it onto my family WiFi network because the router is at the extreme opposite end of the house from my trainroom, and the signal doesn't reach.

Also, if there are any "cheap" routers, I'm not seeing them on the WalMart. website The ones I saw all typically start at ~$100.00.

Any suggestions?

While it's been a while since I got a router, The router doesn't care what the Operating system is.

As far as not being connected to the internet, that shouldn't be a problem. You're just using it as a connection point for other devices, all contained on it's own.

Here's a link to a router on Office Depot that doesn't seem too expensive:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...VNP_jBx13kQqgEAQYBCABEgJs6_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Correct on the Operating system. Router won't care. What will be important is that the router you end up purchasing accommodates multiple connection protocols (802.11x). Most routers should be good, but just something to keep an eye on. With the wifi and not connecting to the internet, as long as you don't connect it to your existing network, either wired or wireless, it won't have access to the internet. Any cheap router should do you good, but I prefer netgear and linksys. My preference is to stay away from D-Link products.

My concern about being connected on the "cloud" is that vendors nowadays typically don't include physical media [e.g., CD's] for installing the device drivers. I can't remember if Windows XP was capable of instantly recognizing new hardware and configuring it automatically. I seem to remember with some printers I bought, I was instructed to go online and download an installer script.

Linksys is the home version of Cisco (one of if not the top router brands). Netgear is a good choice and what I use at work as well. Decent product for the price and I don't need a Cisco certificate to configure it.

Depending on how you need to connect to the router, the driver should be in your networking card\device. I say device as I have a USB wireless device I use to connect my desktop to my home wireless. Configuration of the router is usually done through a web browser and once again doesn't care which one or how.

tootnkumin: With the older computer being on Windows XP, he's going to want to stay off the home network. This OS is no longer supported by MS and most antivirus\malware providers won't update on these machines, leaving it vulnerable.

Which reminds me I'll have to do something with the desktop in the basement I use, as Windows 7 ceases to be a supported OS in January. I can upgrade to Win 10, but I don't want to lose access to my CD games which won't play under Windows 10 (or Win 7 with a certain patch).

For a railroad-only router, something like this TP Link should be all that you need:
https://tinyurl.com/y3bjs2l5

In fact, I believe this is the one that Roco uses to connect to the z21 system (looks just like the one I use).

It doesn't need to be "connected to the internet" to work.
My z21 router is a "closed system", not connected to the internet at all.
Works fine.

Back