Seneca Ridge MS Afters School Train and RC Club

We received a new toy from Bachmann... they gave us a Probox... now we can have multiple kids control trains on the layout...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Still debating if we should lay down some ballast...
Are you planning on taking up the track and re-laying every year? If so, ballast would be a bad idea.

Also until the trackwork is perfect, ballast would hinder the correction of any problems.

Are you planning on taking up the track and re-laying every year? If so, ballast would be a bad idea.

Also until the trackwork is perfect, ballast would hinder the correction of any problems.
Yeah.. good point... since we haven't perfected trackwork, and the uncertainty of my room location next year, better hold off with te ballast

Our layout... a work in progress again... i was able to convince the kids to redo the layout and make it a simple layout... we are spending more time fixing than running trains... plan is to do 3 simple ovals with turnouts crossing over from inner to outer and vice versa...
cb69dd1a3078805e689381052b55c29d.jpg

Our layout... a work in progress again... i was able to convince the kids to redo the layout and make it a simple layout... we are spending more time fixing than running trains... plan is to do 3 simple ovals with turnouts crossing over from inner to outer and vice versa...
cb69dd1a3078805e689381052b55c29d.jpg

An excellent track idea if there will be kids running it, that will provide for some 'action'!

I'm trying to get rid of my Model RR stuff (mostly steam era N&W) scenery, structure kits, track(code 83 with #6 & #8 turnouts) and benchwork. Those sections are 2 feet wide and an assortment of 6, 7 and 8 foot 'tables, with 1/4 " plywood with Homosote on top. Legs are 59" so I don't have to duck so far down. I have some Jordan Miniatures and some HOn3 stuff too. Didn't know how rich and dedicated some of the club members were. No scenery was started so the track isn't weathered.

Hi, honestly our kids are well diverse and most of them only had literally started with railroading. I do have 2 kids who have prior experience with the hobby through their dad and grandfather's. As far as equipment and stuff, we are slowly gaining stuff mostly from donated items... we were fortunate that Bachmann gave us a handful of dcc engines and the dynamis controller... right now, our layout is kept in my classroom so space is a concern. All our tracks are code 100, but we may be able to make use of some structures. Im still trying to have a conversation with my building admin to see if they can give us one of our cottage to use for the club... but that is a long shot from happening.

It's been 2 grading quarters since I updated the thread... we are slowly making progress... as we like to think...

2864d9c887897d827158121211260356.jpg
de8f29de02c9042ff24beba8ccc8fc61.jpg
318624aaf5f45944c2564824bae81c21.jpg
cce9dd71092bf9de186f3fc69cd74afb.jpg
c125b8e11740173cf5d078ed91001800.jpg
e49a5dc82bb5f7bba89acca7f99a6e22.jpg
149186c96461279578b47030af22aede.jpg
e0a521db8b9679ea28eb53851fba8f05.jpg

Most design and scenery is done solely by the kids... I only got myself involved in laying the tracks... we have not wired the switches yet....

Excited to start a new school year. I will definitely miss one of my student who was a hard core fanatic of railroading... he is now moving to 9th grade and I need to find a new prodigy... thinking of gutting the track to lay down foam under to make it more fixed... and we can really add up as the years go...

Also thought of getting the layout kit from woodland scenics as a start but i couldnt justify spending that amount of money...

As you want to be able to move track about in your planning and revising, I suggest, rather than foam as a base on top of your table you use a product called Homasote, It's an insulating building board made of fibrous materials, pressed together with glue. It's also used as notice boards (you've probably got one in your classroom for pinning paper notes to). You can fix track down semi permanently with tack pins that can be easily pulled out with pliers if you want to change the plan. The track probably has pin holes through some of the ties. Paint it with cheap latex brown or green paint which will also seal it.

Good suggestion. I am considering finding a donor for a pingpong table so we can possibly fold and have it on wheels for easier moving and storage....

I see that your using brass track and switch's. Would you be interested in more track and switch's? I have a mixture of steel and brass along with some flex track. It would be a donation to your school project. Pay shipping and its yours.

I see that your using brass track and switch's. Would you be interested in more track and switch's? I have a mixture of steel and brass along with some flex track. It would be a donation to your school project. Pay shipping and its yours.
Hi, I sent you a pm. Thanks.

Back