Searching for Threads and Posts

Iron Horseman

There is a lot of good information on this forum that I cannot find due to the search capabilities (or lack there of). Seems there used to be an option for searching between two dates, or messages "older than". Also I cannot find any way to combine two keywords with AND. I've tried single quotes, double quotes, brackets, etc. As such either the search finds nothing or wayyyy too many things. Is there anyway to find a thread we did about 6 years ago about hooking an LED to a turnout? I believe there were even diagrams. I hate to have to do it all over again.

The new forum software doesn't have an "older than" search option, just "newer than". Not sure why. There's no need to use AND, it always combines the terms you type.

I suggest you do the following. Click on search, and then "advanced search". Once there, pick where you want to search, in this case search by threads.

That said... We run into two problems. 1) It doesn't like "LED" as a term, it's too short. (I we indexed every 3 letter word posted, it's too big to manage) 2) It's limited to only 10 pages of results and the thread was years old.

Given that, I had to resort to other methods... There's this small website called google. I went there and typed in this:
site:modelrailroadforums.com wiring LED to turnout

"Site:modelrailroadforums.com" tells it to only look here.

I think I may have found your thread?
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-wiring.16665/

There used to be a way to integrate Google Search directly to the website. I wonder if that's still possible?

There used to be a way to integrate Google Search directly to the website. I wonder if that's still possible?
It was a Google custom search that seemed to be available with vBulletin. One of the other forums I'm on has vBulletin, and the Google custom search. It works quite well. But I don't think I'd want to go back to vBulletin just to get that feature back, though.

Oh, trust me, we'll never go back to Vbulletin. Not even an option. Xenforo is so much better in a lot of ways. I've never regretted making the switch.

Last edited:
There's no need to use AND, it always combines the terms you type.
I always get the combination of OR when I try multiple terms. Pretty useless.

Given that, I had to resort to other methods... There's this small website called google. I went there and typed in this:
site:modelrailroadforums.com wiring LED to turnout

"Site:modelrailroadforums.com" tells it to only look here.

I think I may have found your thread?
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-wiring.16665/
Cool on both counts. I was unaware google would search a single website, and while that is not the thread I was thinking of, it does have the same information. I was actually looking for MY diagram of that circuit.[/quote]

OK here is something else I thought of last night. Is there an API or macro-language for writing add-ons for this website software? Perhaps we could write our own search routines, or what I was thinking of is making a list of indexes for various topics.

Back