Search for SP Freight Car Red in Rattle Can May be Over

autocoach

For a variety of reasons I can no longer use an airbrush. But as I need to paint my latest kits and repaint RTR blodges I have been looking for the last few weeks for a suitable spray can (rattle can) freight car red. My goal has been to come close to PBL Star Brand #30 SP-UP Freight Car Red and/or the brownish red color chart in Tony Thompson's massive tome on PFE. I have been conducting some tests documented on http://srandsp.blogspot.com/2018/04/more-on-sp-rattle-can-box-carfreight.html and think I have the winner. Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Oxide Red, Item # 87160-800 is a close enough match to both my color samples. Also the Tamiya sprays very fine preserving detail and drys quickly. As it is also a surface primer in some cases one spray may be all that is needed. I have yet to use it on an actual model but it is looking like it will work well enough.

FCR Tamiya Surface Primer Oxide Red v TT PFE FCR Drift C.jpg

The background is the FCR color in the PFE book and the Tamiya Oxide Red in the smaller spray sample.

I will add to this when I have an actual kit built that needs FCR paint. Right now the Westerfield SP B-50-15 is progressing very slowly. I may use a Tichy USRA Box Car kit as a test bed for an actual car when the winds die down on my deck and I can get outside to spray.

Some of the Auto touch-up rattle cans have good colors, but they for the most part are solvent based, and sometimes hard to find in non-metallic.

This is the latest result with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Oxide Red spray can. The Tichy kit has been a test bed. Unfortunately there is not good match in decals for an SP B-50-12 so I had to use a Microscale 87-911 sheet which does not have correct original build dates. The car still needs a bit of work on the brake end and underframe before spraying a flat/lusterless coating and then final release to the active fleet. I will consider weathering as my layout setting is 1947-54 and this car would last have been painted in the late 1930's. In 1949 any roadworthy B-50-15's were rebuilt by the SP with steel sides and new ends. I went through at least 4 #79 drills getting all the holes drilled for the Tichy wire drop style grab irons. I also experimented with Grandt Line NBW's to complete the grab irons.

Anyway, I was really pleased with the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Oxide Red but worried about a touch up color until today when I matched Vallejo Model Color 70.982 Cavalry Brown as an excellent brush paint touch up match within a few angstrom wavelengths of the Tamiya Red Oxide primer.

2nd AAR Box car 2018-05-15 px2.jpg

Last edited:

Back