SD40-2 Nose Headlight

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, Im in the midst of super detailing an Athearn BB SD40-2 and am lowering the headlight to the nose. What is the correct style of headlight for this? Ive tried google, but no dice so far.

Like this:

BNSF_6344_EMD_SD40-2.jpg

or this:

cp_sd40-2_5993-2.gif

?

aaaah! Kevin, you are now entering the mysterious and confusing world of prototypicalism, succinctly put in Chet's question, "For what railroad?" As you have discovered by pictures, and the reason for Chet's question, it can be different from railroad to railroad. Note also that both locos have ditch lights, but the yellow "Warbonnet" is above the anticlimber and the CP's are below.

So.... the follow up question is, "what railroad are you modelling?" if you are modelling a prototypical (real) one, or a fantasy one (freelance).

Last edited by a moderator:
Beyond the "what railroad?" question also lies "what road number?". There is often times quite a lot of difference even within a single railroad and locomotive model, especially as railroads buy or acquire through merger equipment that was originally owned by other railroads. I've painted/detailed five SD40-2's as Norfolk Southern, and not a single one of them is the same as any other.

I've personally found http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/ to be an excellent and easy to search resource for railroad photos. You can search by railroad, by locomotive model, etc. Give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my appologies, I should have specfied. I am modelling my own freelance railroad and basing it loosely on CP western operations. Im detailing the locos as if they were CP units that my railroad would have bought from them and painted into WP colors...so essensially, the average CP unit such as 5993 there. I think I may have found it...Detail associates #1004??

Im pretty sure its what I need and thanks. I'll wait to see if others can confirm it.

Looks like the recess isn't part of it, bit of a shame. Do you have to get the lens separately?

Back