Sculptamold

Sculptamold is basically a finer form of powdered spackle. That can be found at any chain store and used in place of Sculptamold. Sculptamode is widely available at any crafts type store though so it really shouldn't be a problem to find it.

Are you saying you want to use Sculptamold for the surface of an intermodal yard? That I wouldn't recommend. It's pretty expensive for a large yard, messy to work with, and not easy to get looking like smooth concrete. I'd use sheet styrene for the yard surface. A good source of cheap styrene that's just about the right thickness is those "For Sale" signs you can get at Wallyworld.

Sculpt-a-mold? Wouldn't Hydro-Cal be a better less expensive option. That can be found at any home improvement or hardware store.

Sheet styrene can be a bear to make to look "real". The joints are hard to transform into nice looking expansion joints. JMO.

Bob

Sheet styrene can be a bear to make to look "real". The joints are hard to transform into nice looking expansion joints. JMO.

Bob

Nah! Just make sure you have a square butt joint and a fine point sharpie makes a really nice looking tar filled expansion joint. I've used styrene for all my road surfaces and really like it compared to plaster type materials. Since my layout is in a carpeted basement, it makes the wife happier since I'm not slopping soupy stuff on the floor, something I've been known to do. :)

Thanks Jim. I think I'll use that. I wasn't to excited about the sculptamold. what did you cut it with? Did you glue it do or what do you use?

Scott, it cuts with an ordinary pair of scissors. Just make sure they are sharp. The brand with the orange handles (can't remember the name) work fine. I use cheap latex caulk to glue it down. Gives you time to position the styrene so everything is square but holds like iron when it's dry. It's also safe to use on extruded foam. Yellow carpenter's glue also works but I find it easier and cheaper to use latex caulk in a gun and a disposable plasitic spreading trowel to even it out before laying down the styrene. Don't use white glue. It works for a year or two but then becomes brittle and your styrene starts to come up on the sides.

Back