Scratch-building a fire tower/ranger tower

Raincoat2

I model HO scale late 50's upstate New York. Fire towers, or ranger towers, were/are common in that part of the country. I see a couple of such structures in kits, but i don't like any of them and most are out of stock anyway. Have any of you ever scratch-built a ranger station/fire tower? If so, any photos, suggestions?

Johnny,

As it would happen I did scratch build a Fire Tower for my HO layout. Not sure if I have pictures anywhere, perhaps a video in the archives. I'll try to dig something up for you to see.

Johnny,

This is the best picture I can find of the tower:

qqernd1.jpg

Not in the USA, but this is the Jimna watch tower in the ranges, the back of where I live

Chet, Tony, and Toot - Thanks for the photos and suggestions. I've seen the kit that Chet mentions, and to me it doesn't look like the ones I know in NY. Tony's is a bit closer to what I have in mind, and I can't quite see what the top of Toot's looks like.

This one from JV Models is closer to what I'm looking for, but the kit is out of stock. https://www.hobbylinc.com/jv-forest-ranger-tower-kit-ho-scale-model-railroad-building-2002

Using photos online like that one and the photos you guys posted, I may buy some supplies and try to scratch-build something. Many thanks, guys.

I couldn't find a Helicopter view for that one, It's octagonal in shape, doesn't appear to have a platform around it. The tower is remarkable for being of an all timber construction. I did however find a pic of one living up to it's name

Needles_Lookout_Fire-sm.jpg

Back