Scrap Yard Crane

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
While working on my layout expansion, what was going to be a gravel quarry ended up being turned into a scrap yard. It took quite a while to come up with some sort of machinery t load the scrap into gondolas. After a long search, I found this crane on evilbay.

attachment.php

There is only one thing that could cause problems. A rubber tired vehicle in a scrap yard could present problems. A search began for some sort of tracked vehicle the the tracks could be used to convert the crane. After a lot of searching, I found this excavator on ebay for $9 plus shipping. Not a big investment.

attachment.php

It's a nice looking piece of machinery, but way too modern for the transition era, but the tracks are just what was needed. After a meeting, a bit of bashing took place.

attachment.php

The resulting crane ended up working out and looks a lot better for working in a scrap yard. With a bit of weathering it should be a good looking addition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice going ... I like to see scrap yards on a MRR. They are a true part of a railroad.
Before weathering your crane .. Expose some panels, maybe an open door, and "beat it up" a little to add realism.
With your talent, I am sure that you can do it properly!

It will be heading to the scrap box. The excavator is too modern for the transition era. You want it?

See if you can fit the rubber tires on the excavator. If you can then put it back on ebay. Maybe you can break even or better. :)

I've been looking for a crane for a scrap yard on my modular unit for years. The closest thing I could find was a "dragline" that looked really great but it was $119. Yipes. This is a perfect solution. Any idea what brand the wheeled crane is? I need to build 2 or 3.

I should have seen this part of your layout a lot sooner-Well done, Mont! Someday, my layout might be as impressive as yours.

Montanan:

Not to add more choices to junk yard equipment, have you considered purchasing a rail crane that many of the railroads used? Just a thought.

Greg

crane.gif

Montanan:

I have a Milwaukee Road crane that's powered on my future "To Do" shelve to assemble. It's from Walther's. Planning to add DCC for control.

Here a photo of my junk yard on The Milwaukee Northern.

Thanks.

Greg

OMRO Junk Yard.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had looked at these when they first hit the market, but was looking for something that would be a bit smaller and be able to service two tracks. Came across the two units, liking that the crane had and electromagnet which would be a bit more common in a scrap yard. I figured that I would have to cobble something together for the magnet head, but the crane came with one.

Since the original photo was posted, I came across some scrap pile castings. The scene will need the surface brought up to grade where the dump truck is, and a small building and scale will be scratchbuilt where the truck is. Moving ahead slowly because I just have too many other things going on.

attachment.php

Looks real good Greg. That will be a nice customer for the railroad. I think I'm going to have to break down and order a new Walthers catalog. I used to have a dealership with them years back and it was great for keeping up with the new products. Mine is about 15 years out of date.

I pretty well have most all of the locomotives and rolling stock I need, but now that I have the last town on the layout to detail, I need a new catalog so the detail parts can be ordered. I was thinking about a chain link fence for the scrap yard, but where it is located a fence could present a problem, plus growing up in the transition era, I can remember scrap yards without fences. Fred Sanford wasn't around yet.

Montanan:

Have you consider constructing a fence out of corrugated steel? Weather it and it will fit your era. Don't forget a "Junk Yard Dog" for added detail.

Thanks.

Greg

Back