Scenic Express trees

Possibly you could use the same method used by those that build tree armatures from copper wire. Build up the thickness with latex caulk applied by brush. Can be had pre-colored too.

Possibly you could use the same method used by those that build tree armatures from copper wire. Build up the thickness with latex caulk applied by brush. Can be had pre-colored too.
I have an article from model railroader about using floral wire bent to make trees. Though I they used plaster and painted the bark. They look really nice.

Justin

trees-0.jpg

trees-1.jpg

;)

I just hit my Super Tree with another shot of Super77 and made it even bushier. I skipped ordering the matte medium and just went with 3M Super77 and some scenic cement (which I figured I could use for other things). I read on another forum that a guy prepared Super Trees using three different methods as a test: matte medium, Super77, and hairspray. He said the Super77 trees held up just as well over time as the matte medium, but that the hairspray produced "more delicate" looking trees.

I like having manufacturer's bottles that say what's in them, so I spent the extra couple of bucks for the Woodland Scenics' spray bottle. I also bought the Scenic Express shaker bottles to store my Eco-Packed SuperLeaf. I cut out the SKU labels and Scotch-taped them onto the bottles so that I'd know what they were when needing to re-order. I bought:

• Scenic Express Spring Green SuperLeaf in 16 oz. shaker bottle.
• Scenic Express Medium Green SuperLeaf in Eco-Pack bag.
• Scenic Express Flock & Turf Ground Cover Summer Lawn Blend in Eco-Pack bulk bag.

The Spring Green and Medium Green look almost identical in shade, with the Spring Green being almost imperceptibly lighter in shade than the Medium Green. The Summer Lawn Blend is a very light green, and contrasts nicely, yet also blends well with the darker greens. Used together, all three produce a nice natural mix, and overall, I'm very pleased with the Scenic Express products.

Thanks! Little did I know I was making a tree sized for O-scale! I had to use some of the teeny-tiny branches to make "trees" for N-scale!

Looks nice, Chevron; I went with one color and it seems with the lighting of the layout and the shadows within the tree they do appear to have different colors.

I sprayed several of mine with the india ink and water mixture to tone the brightness down a bit. If you mix it not too strong you can regulate the shading by using multiple applications.

I saw one youtube video where they used rattle can spray paint for the coloring. Even use separate colors to create highlights, they suggested using a light coat of yellow on one side of the trees to simulate the sunlight.

I tried the hair spray but did not get the feeling that it would last over the years, I went over them with a mist of scenic cement to calm my fears.

Back